In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fieldmaster Model 121

JimetJimet Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
It appeares to be an adjustment knob on left side (with straight screw driver slot). Would someone kindly tell me what it does? Also,were I find the serial#.
Now for the biggy, why is there a bulge at midway point of barrel? You can see it,feel it and when you push a tight cleaning patch thru,it becomes very loose at that point. I've already shot it,its straight and tight. Thanks,Jim

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello The bulge in the barrel came from someone shooting the rifle with a bullet stuck in the barrel If you just bought the rifle I would try to get my money back This is a serious cause for reduction of worth I would say 25-50% The large screw on the side of the action is the TAKEDOWN screw with this unscrewed you can disconnect the barrel and forearm from the Buttstock. When these guns were first designed Remington model 12 People liked to travel with firearms on public transportation and need them to fit in a short case Many brands Marlin Winchester and Remington made rifles of this type.It may not have a serial 22 rifles did not need them by law until 1968
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's called a ringed barrel. It could have happened by firing with a barrel obstruction or by grease left in the barrel before firing.
    A bullet can override grease, causing the bulge.
    People used to store guns with a grease like Rig in the barrel and forget to run a patch through it before firing.
    I have a Remington Rolling Block 22 with the same problem.
    It wouldn't be advisable to shoot a high power rifle in that condition.