In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SMLE Intro and Question

MRBTMRBT Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
Greetings. I inherited a 1945 No.4 Mk1* in 1986. At the time I didn't know what it was other then a very dark and greasy old military rifle. I put it in the gun safe and there it sat until recently when retirement allowed me take a closer look. After some minor cleaning on the receiver I found that it was a No.4 mfg'd in 1945 at Long Branch and had an FTR in 1948. With several nights of online research I started getting the "SMLE bug". I have now completely disassembled the rifle and am in the process of soaking all the cosmoline and linseed oil out of the wood. All the SN's match except the clip and the barrel is bright with nice looking rifling. My FIL probably bought it at a gun show which brings me to my question. Where does one find a SMLE today and what should it cost (not a piece of junk)? Also, he had purchased 60 rounds of 1943 W.R.A (Winchester)303 ammo. Would this have corrosive primers?

Comments

• Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The corrosiveness of the primer in those old rounds should be a moot point. I think you'll be wanting to keep them.
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 1943 ammo in caliber .303 British is likely corrosive.
    No problem - after shooting, rinse the barrel with HOT water, dry and clean normally.
    I would expect to see No4 SMLE's in the condition you describe on local (east PA) dealers' "used" racks with price tags ranging from $200 to $250.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SMLE's are still being imported and sold to Military collectors and hobbyists. The recent prices I have noted have been in the $150 - $250 range. Many have been imported and sold over the last 50 years, you shouldn't have any problem finding them for sale. The early imports don't have the very prominent dealers markings that the recent ones have. Quite a few turn up on the various on-line auctions. Note the SELLING PRICE to get a idea of what the FMV, of the different varations are.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Rufe said. Visit surplusrifle.com for good info on your rifle- and on getting the cosmoline off- but do it quick- that website is closing for good in March 07. Go over to the auction side, search for SMLE auctions CLOSED in last 90 days, look for the price they sold for. Condition is everything. Leave the old ammo in the box- or you MAY get a squib load- leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel. There is plenty of new ammo out there.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    As Rufe said. Visit surplusrifle.com for good info on your rifle- and on getting the cosmoline off- but do it quick- that website is closing for good in March 07. Go over to the auction side, search for SMLE auctions CLOSED in last 90 days, look for the price they sold for. Condition is everything. Leave the old ammo in the box- or you MAY get a squib load- leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel. There is plenty of new ammo out there.

The WW2 vintage Winchester 303 is top notch, and if stored properly will give you no trouble. It is corrosive.

A FTR'ed Long Branch in the shape you describe is worth $150-225.
  • Options
    MRBTMRBT Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the prompt reply(s) and the great information. As this rifle belonged to my FIL I have no desire to sell it and once I get the walnut looking like it did in 1945 I'll see how it shoots. I have two sons so it will be passed down. They will also inherit a Lugar that my dad brought back from WWII, a Win. 1894 rifle mfg'd in 1911 in 32 WinSpl, a Stevens Visible Loader, and a Marlin 25-20. The last three all have octagon barrels.

I'll let you know how the AMLE project goes and if I can keep a group in the black with 6+ decade old eyes.

I noted that someone posted finding a preserved (new mfg?) SMLE for $300 to $400. Are there more out there?

Sit Vis Nobiscum
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have really caught the SMLE bug and are thinking about maybe picking up another you might consider looking into the Ishapore made rifles. The last and most modern version was made there, of better steels and chambered new at the factory for 7.62x51 NATO (.308win). They can be had for the same range of money with excellent bores. Have fun and welcome to the forum.