In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can I reload IMI 9mm for my Glock?

Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine has some 9MM IMI +P+ Sub-Machine Gun ammunition that he wants to get rid of. I have 3 questions.

What is meant by hard primed?
Can I disassemble it and use the primed brass to reload for my Glock? Can I use the bullets for reloading?

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Hard primed" means that the primer cup is harder than a standard primer cup. These are used in ammo meant for machine guns.

I am not sure but the harder primers may be hard on your firing pin and you may have some misfires. I do not know that this will happen but that is the possibility.

No problem using the bullets for reloading if you soft pull them such as using a Kinetic type puller.

You might ask the question of using this ammo to Glock and see what they have to say.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The primers may be too resistant to indentation for the Glock striker.
    You'd have to pull a few bullets to see if the primers fire with one strike. I know of several 9mm pistols and a couple of revolvers that can't indent hard primers with one strike.
    I don't know how the 9mm Glock would handle +P+ ammo.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I would not do it. Most of the ammo listed for Sub machine Gun only really means it. I would suggest you find someone with a UZI to trade it for some regular ammo. If you do a web search I belive there was a pic of a Quality, dont remember brand, pistol that did not survive using this ammo.

You can reload the brass as normal.
  • Options
    Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't planning on shooting the IMI through my Glock as it came from the factory. I know that it is designed for the Uzi. I was curious if I could use the brass? The really important question is can I shoot the primed IMI brass with their primer the first time through my Glock. Will I be able to re-prime it without any problem?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Reddot47
    I wasn't planning on shooting the IMI through my Glock as it came from the factory. I know that it is designed for the Uzi. I was curious if I could use the brass? The really important question is can I shoot the primed IMI brass with their primer the first time through my Glock. Will I be able to re-prime it without any problem?

All IMI brass that I have reloaded over the years was boxer primed, the primers weren't swaged either. If the brass you have is similar, you shouldn't have any problem reloading it. Take the previous posters advice, pull 2 or 3 of the bullets, flush the powder down the john. Chamber the cases in the Glock, see if you can pop the primers. If you can't, either trade off the ammo, or pull all the bullets