In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reblue Remington 788

firebawlpfirebawlp Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
I've reblued a couple of cheap shotguns and they've turned out nice, but the receiver of this Remington 788 seems particularly hard to get the bluing to take. Could any of you offer any hints that will end my frustration?

Products used - All birchwood casey prep chemicals, with the paste bluing.

Reason for doing it - I just bought it super cheap and it looked like someone had lacquer over the existing bluing.

Thanks,
Adam

Comments

• Options
    Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try cleaning the receiver with alchohol and fine steel wool. Then get it hot with a hairdryer and begin the blueing process. I use oxpho-blue and have had good luck following the instructios. Others are good also.Regards, Mike
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    firebawlp,

I can understand the draw to cold blue simply because it's cheap and easy but I don't agree with using it as a finish on decent firearms when there are obviously better processes. Some folks will point to their exceptions as being the rule, just remember that if cold blue was so good the professionals would be using it instead of other better processes.

Just because you get a firearm for a good (cheap) price doesn't necessarily mean that the firearm should be treated cheaply. Cold bluing in any form is a cheap, low quality method of adding color to any firearm which is the attraction for so many. It's cheap and doesn't take any knowledge or talent but then neither does spray painting...

The problem is that not all alloys used in the manufacturing of firearms readily accept these chemistries with consistancy. So now you get to spend your time attempting to make these chemistries create what amounts to a 'maybe acceptable' finish instead of creating a better finish right from the start.

Anyone can slow rust blue at home or in the garage if you wish, and the 788's respond to this process with a superior look and a durable long wearing finish unlike anything you can create with the cold blue. Not only is the finish superior but the process is more satisfying than just rubbing some chemicals on the parts.

Good luck with your project!

Best.