In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about Taurus

Tigerclaw_xTigerclaw_x Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am considering purchasing a Taurus. No not the PT145 that everyone seems to hate, but Taurus 608 revolver, Taurus 24/7 and Taurus PT92.
The reason? I like 8 shots in a 357 revolver (noone else has it), 24/7 looks like glock, and PT92/99 is a beretta rip off. Besides, they are fairly not expensive, not as cheap as Witness, but still low prised, and I like variety in guns:-) I can't afford to have it all: a true beretta, a true Glock24, a true S&W 7 shots long barrel revolver. So Taurus seems a natural choice.
What confuses me is a mixed reviews I hear about them. Some people speak of those guns in glowing terms, including people who claim to be police officers. Some magazine gave 24/7 Gun of the Year award. I have red a rewiew of a guy who claimed to be a policeman who said that PT92 from taurus is better then beretta.
And yet other people complain about jamming, FTE, FTF, Stovepiping and simple fragility of Taurus pistols due to bad metallurgy (a concern with a 357 Magnum round)
Considering that people here are known dealers and shooters, I would ask you to give me your opinion. I am a beginner, so I would love to hear advice of experts. Please, help the newbie

Thank you

Dmitry

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Own a Taurus .38 revolver. Nicely finished and at least as tough as S&W, though probably not as indestructable as Rugers GP-100. I am also looking at buying a 24/7 Pro. I think Taurus had some issues in their early days, but more recent (past 10 or more years) guns have been fine.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the record, the PT145 is not a bad gun and I don't hate it. It seems you have a few different decisions to make, which caliber do you want, do you want a wheelgun, do you want an automatic.

The Witness is a really good gun. The CZ 75 series is the most copied design on the planet. One of the most reliable platforms as well.

If you are looking at a PT92, I strongly suggest looking at CZ's 75 series of pistols, you'll get a much better gun for less money.

I show the MSRP on the PT92 17rounder at $642

The Black CZ's MSRP is $529
    Even the Stainless is $629

You won't find a 75 series for more than the PT92.

The full size CZ will be a little less. You won't find a more comfortable pistol on the market without a hogue grip.

Do yourself a favor and check them out.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with HeDog.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a PT99 that is 16 years old. It has had a lot of full house, Blue Dot, 115 gr. JHP's fired through it. (I don't load no wimp ammo)It has never failed to feed or fire, with a mix of factory and aftermarket mags. I've done everything I can to make this pistol fail or break and it's clean so far. I installed a Wolff spring kit in it years ago. It is one pistol we will probably never sell, if you find a deal on a used one, get it.
    I also have a Raging Bull that I'm very happy with.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    I, too, had a PT 145 that I really liked. The only reason I got rid of it was I disliked the long DA trigger pull. I found it to be a great little gun; acccurate, reliable, and it ate absolutely everything I fed it. I also have a PT 911 that I like very much. I have no experience with Taurus revolvers, but I, personally, have not heard disparaging remarks about the newer Taurus pistols. My brother has a Taurus copy of the short-barrelled S&W 5 shot revolver, and he loves it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a 9mm gun. Maybe for a 40cal so I can later install 357 SIG barrel into it. And I do want a 357 Magnum long barreled revolver (thats where 608 comes in). My main interest in Taurus were:
    24/7 (long barreled version) and PT92/99. Their reliability. I already held them and I liked the balance. But I am cautions in buying them because I keep hearing about how fragile they are and how bad Taurus techsupport is. BTW, I already have CZ75B:-) just want something different in addition to it.
  • Options
    rock,roll,n,loadrock,roll,n,load Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a PT101 in .40 S&W and a .454 Casull Raging Bull. I like them both and haven't had any problems with either one of them. The .40 does get a little more use than the .454 but they both have had there fair share of bullets put thru them. I just make sure they get cleaned and lubed after each firing session like any other.[:D][:D]
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    PT92 for about 20 years - better than Beretta - you can carry it in "Condition One", which is my favorite carry mode (cocked and locked). Has never had any operating system failures - or any other kind.

Son Dave has a Taurus .357 and has been very happy with it since he bought it, several years ago.

Can't comment on the CZ series, although you might want to check on repair parts availability.

Tough choices - get 'em all, with the .357 first.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, the nessesity in getting 24/7 long slide and PT92/99 just dissappeared. I got a CZ75 in 9x19mm and a 6 inch match barrel for it.
    But I will be getting 608. 357Mag... 8+ inch barrel.... 8 shots.... DROOL!!!!
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    You are most likely going to get "mixed reviews on any firearm....
    You have High-end, Mid range and Low end Weapons.. The Taurus is a mid range weapon with some High-end qualities. It is a good bang for the buck! Personally I would save a little more and buy high end... But then I am older and have very few bills so it doesn't have that ouch sensation that it did twenty years ago. A time, by the way, that I would have probably bought (out of necessity) a Taurus for sure. I must confess I don't see many guys bringing these in to gunshows to sell... which is a pretty good sign that they are well liked by a majority their owners.