In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Factory Ammo/Bullet Selection?

Late-BloomerLate-Bloomer Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hey guys,
I was looking to get some expert advice in selecting a factory premium, proven, and accurate hunting bullet since I'm not yet a hand-loader. I need ammo that can take deer & possibly elk to max. 250 yds.

Also, I would use the same to punch paper so accuracy & terminal performance on game is important! I want to start practicing with my hunting ammo to familiarize myself with its true hunting potential when I get to the field.

Remington 700 BDL .270 Win. Rate of Twist 1:10"

Remington 798 .30/06 Rate of Twist 1:10"

Remington 798 7mm Rem. Mag. Rate of Twist 1:9 1/4"

Any advice would be really helpful to get me off in the right direction in selcting the most accurate hunting load for each these rifles.

I do understand it might take me several tries to find the right combo, but I thought I should ask for advice now instead of later, so that I may spend my $$$ wisely because I'm a novice.

Again, thanks for any advice! [8D]

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Only way to really tell is pick one (all the cals you list will do the job fine) and try a box of everything you can find. Once you find out which one groups best, buy as much as you can of the *same lot* of stuff.

Another alternative is to buy a Browning with the BOSS system on it - then you tune the rifle to the ammo.

Best way tho is to probably take up reloading...
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    Fedral Premiam in Nosler Partion they are hard to beat if you dont reload i have had very good luck with them out of a 7mm and a 270
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Late-BloomerLate-Bloomer Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you! I'll go ahead and check out those web-sites, pick up a bunch of different ammo and give it a try! I guess all the fun is in finding the right ammo! [8D] [:D] [8D]
  • laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i shoot 2 270's, and have checked for accuracy as well as terminal performance on large deer and wet phone books.

of course accuracy certainly will depend on your rifle's own tastes. one of my 270's shoots seemingly everything well, the other only likes 130 grain bullets.

i concur with the recommendation of nosler partitions for game, but they are not noted for accuracy. sierras are noted for accuracy, but not game performance. for the best of both i would try various factory loads using hornady SST (switch over to comparable-weight interbond just for elk and re-sight-in), swift scirocco, or nosler accubond. and federal fusion is very economical for a bullet with excellent game performance, so try them first.

at current prices, you're looking at a whale of a lot of money to experiment using premium factory loads!! i echo the recommendation to go ahead and start reloading. it's simple, and will pay for itself VERY quickly in your case!
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always had good results with the feseral premium loads. my 270's shoot the 130 gr sierra BT's great and performance on game has been outstanding.....never a step taken. '06 shoots the 165 gr BT's. Can't remember what I used to shoot in 7 Mag.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal Premium......long day and the Crown is kicking in.