In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

J C Higgins

thelmathelma Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
could anyone give me a price on a J C Higgins, model #583.1, 12 gage , full choke, bolt action 2 3/4 chamber, sears & Roebuck. thank you.

Comments

• thelmathelma Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about the J C Higgins .22 maybe a model 29, it has the bolt handle on the left side. Looks like a one of a kind.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bolt action shotgun is a utility piece. $75 - $130 is a ballpark range.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    It is also the subject of a recall. Don't shoot it.

HIGH STANDARD/J.C. HIGGINS, MODEL 10, 12 GAUGE BOLT ACTION SHOTGUN
    AND SEARS MODEL NUMBERS: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16, 583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 AND 583.22
    The model of shotgun may be subject to a BOLT FAILURE. When this occurs the bolt will dislodge from the action, striking the shooter causing serious injury. These shotguns were manufactured for and sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. during the 1950's.
    Call (800) 817-9165 for identification verification. Instructions for the return of the bolt and refund of $160.00 will be provided.
    Source:
    American Rifleman, April 1998; page 24

I have sold a bunch of bolts back to Sears, but it is my understanding that they are no longer paying $160 for them, but sending a $50 Sears gift card instead.

DON'T SHOOT IT.

Since most of these guns have been taken out of service by now, it could be that a remaining intact one may have some collectibility.

STILL DON'T SHOOT IT.
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    I too believe in caution Nunn and would suggest the owner contact Sears at the recall number. However this version 583.1 is not on the recall list. 583.1 through 593.12 and 583.23 through 583.25 are not listed in the recall and some of these are 12 Ga model 10's
    edited November -1
    Sears has been accepting bolts from their 12 gauge bolt actions, other than the ones specifically listed, since all are of similar design. If it has 583 on it, and is 12 gauge, they will take it out of service.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Sears has been accepting bolts from their 12 gauge bolt actions, other than the ones specifically listed, since all are of similar design. If it has 583 on it, and is 12 gauge, they will take it out of service.

I'm not trying to be a smart *, but if it is a 583.21 and it's a 16ga it's ok?

Hope so.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    Personally, I'd dump it... Brains are hard to come by and I have so few to begin with....
    I'd at least take it in and have verified by K=searsmart or what ever their name is this week.....
    I remember these recalls in the news... and I've read enough of Nunn's posts that I sure as heck wouldn't take a chance and fire it without a call to Sears to get their blessing. I highly recommend that you take his advice on this....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tobefree
    Personally, I'd dump it... Brains are hard to come by and I have so few to begin with....
    I'd at least take it in and have verified by K=searsmart or what ever their name is this week.....
    I remember these recalls in the news... and I've read enough of Nunn's posts that I sure as heck wouldn't take a chance and fire it without a call to Sears to get their blessing. I highly recommend that you take his advice on this....

My wife's grandfather gave it to me, he bought it brand new. It's in fantastic shape, I've put a couple thousand rounds through it.

Colletction014.jpg
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    Nice, Actually very nice. I used one myself as a yonker. And more than likely only a few of these ever let go!!! But face it. If it does, that is a heck of a lot of iron coming at your face... I suspect an advanced shooter might even detect a faulty one with inspection, but I don't know that for a fact. And I sure don't know the asker well enough to determine the persons knowledge of firearms. I'd never advise anyone to shoot even your obviously well taken care of shotgun without knowing their abilities.... I still think I'm gonna go with Nunn on this one.
    I quit ignoring warnings after inspecting the car my little brother died in. It was all too obvious that had he had his seat belt on he'd might not have died...
    edited November -1
    Only the 12 gauge guns were recalled, but I wouldn't shoot any of them.

Carefully examine the design of the bolt and receiver. You will find that the only thing holding the bolt in place when it is in battery is the bolt handle, which seems to be sort of press-fitted into the bolt. When the bolt is open, all that stops it is a screw in the left side of the receiver.

The gun pictured is very nice. Were it mine, I would probably NOT send the bolt in, but would keep the gun as a collector piece. IMNSHO, the gun has more than $50 in wall-hanging or conversation value. But, I still wouldn't shoot it. There are lots of guns you can shoot.
  • deputydog214deputydog214 Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't remember where I found it but I read the recall notice a couple of weeks ago. What it stated the problem was is the screw that stops the bolt when pulled back either works loose, falls out or backs out enough that when the bolt is pulled back it shears off. What started the recall was a law suit buy a guy who pulled the bolt back with enough force (screw fell out) it hit him in the face. One recommendation was to remove the screw, then reinstall with locktite. I'll look for the recall notice and post it when I find it.
    edited November -1
    We don't shoot it as much any more, it hasn't seen a round in a year or so. It does have some sentimental value. I guess I'll leave it in the safe. Thanks guys.
  • deputydog214deputydog214 Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    found it. Just a search for " J C Higgins Shotgun Recall" you'll get all kinds of info