In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 7mm-08

Late-BloomerLate-Bloomer Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
I was looking for a 7mm-08 hunting rifle and came across this one from Savage, it's a Model 11FHNS Hunter Series. It has a free-floating barrel and dual pillar bedding, button-rifled barrel and a hinged floor plate on a black synthetic stock and a total weight of 6.5 lbs.

How are the Savages on accuracy and dependability? I thought the price was affordable, since I'm on a definite budget for this next purchase!

Is this a good purchase or should I wait to afford something better?

Any info. would be helpful, thank you!!! [:D]

Comments

• Options
    PdogPdog Member Posts: 291 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7mm rem mag I bought last year brand new with accu-trigger is pretty good. Haven't had any problems with accuracy or depenability. But have only put maybe 4 or 5 boxes though it getting ready for deer season. Dropped my deer at 150 or so yards but thats not saying much. Mine cost 349.99 brand new before taxes and had a Simmons scope on it I replaced. For what I got it was well worth it. I have never put it on a bench to see how it groups real but at 100 yards I can do under 1.5in circle group, but thats with the sling wrapped around my arm and resting on a coat. Only tried one brand/load of ammo so can probably do better. Mines a model 110 and was on the shelf for a couple of years according to their log of when they received it.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    -bloomer,
    Savage has built a reputation as being quite accurate straight out of the box and they are as dependable as most any other firearm. PRETTY THEY'RE NOT, but an excellent value by any other measure!
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think they look good.

D.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dual piller bedded 25-06 Savage 112FVSS shoots anything i cook up under an inch. My best loads do a half inch and I have shoot in front of witnesses a 10 shot group of three eights of an inch at 100 yds. A 100 gr Nosler BT over H4831 and a CCI BR primer. Once you have a dual piller Savage you will wonder what took you so long. Savage is famous for out of the box accuracy. Use the seach on this forum for lots of posts. There is nothing on this planet better than a Savage for the price.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this 7-08 is not an Accutrigger model it should be cheap. The old models are being discounted quite a bit to get them out of the way. Actually, I prefer the nonaccutrigger and consider them an accident waiting to happen when someone picks up a rifle with a light, clean single stage trigger and attempts to haul back that first stage.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By "them" I meant the accutriggers.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Late-Bloomer,

Savages are outstanding for accuracy in spite of what the general appearance does to your first impression. They put the money where it matters most. I like the 7mm-08 as it doesn't take your shoulder off with kick. I you reload you can get some of the most ballisticly efficient bullets on the market. If the price was right for you I don't think you would go wrong.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can probally buy one on sale at dicks for 399.00 with the trigger, which is the way to go. i own a model 114 and 93 17 and they are both great shooters my model 114 matches up with anybodys bdl remmy and brownings and if i have a good day and do my part i beat them on the range with a gun about 125-200.00 cheaper boy they hate that at the range!!!
  • Options
    American_NimrodAmerican_Nimrod Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will be very pleased with that Savage. Savage is well known for being top of the line accurate out of the box, with a more reasonable than top of the line price. Savage makes wonderful firearmas and anyone who has one generally loves it. I think you'll be very happy you bought it once you shoot it.[8D]
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get it--IF it has accu-trigger!