In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Llama .45

misterfoot21misterfoot21 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi Folks,
Here's an interesting one! A buddy of mine recently purchased a Llama Max-I 45 C/F SN#0704-013XX-99 that shoots great, feeds fine
and otherwise seems to work well. The catch here is that my friend is a meticulous fellow and has discovered that removing the bushing after 50 or so rounds requires a large hammer*just kidding*. As it turns out, it appears that the muzzle end of the slide was never hardened. The locking lug on the bushing is mushing its mating surface in the slide causing mushrooming, thus jamming the works up and making it difficult to disassemble. He has taken a file to the slide to enable the reassembly of the pistol but shouldn't have to. My questions to you are; Anybody else seen this? Anybody familiar with a fix or will the slide require replacement and who would have that and at what cost. Since he purchased the gun used we have no reason to assume that there is any kind of warranty. Does anyone out there have any experience dealing with Llama?
I have included the best image I could get. It does though show where the groove is being distended toward the muzzle by the lug.
Thanks for looking,
Paul

[img][/img]2aj9oyd.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Llama 3.5 inch barreled .45 caliber pistol that I really, really like. Last time I shot it, I had a small problem; out of 80 rounds fired, the pistol failed to fully return to battery about 6 or 7 times. I have since cleaned the gun very well, but have not yet had a chance to get back to the range. I feel that the recoil spring might be due for replacement, since the gun is over 10 years old. Problem is, I don't know what strength recoil spring to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a lead on a couple of llama .45's. The price I was given was $200 for each. I don't know anything about llama. Was looking for some advice on the weapon. Thanks.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    I have four Llams (used to have five) - a .32, a 9mm, three .45s (had another .45 that I traded in on a Para). I have been very well pleased with all but one of the guns. Have had some problems with the MiniMax .45 Sucompact, but about have them corrected. I have found the newer models to be well made dependable guns. I understand that there were lots of problems with the older ones. One thing to consider, Llama is out of business, although there are still guns and parts available at this time. The trigger pulls are generally pretty stout, but that can be fixed. There is a Llama forum at www.m1911.org. Go there, click on the Llama Forum, and you can get all sorts of information. FWIW, I really like mine, and carry a MiniMax .45(copy of COlts Officer's Model) daily.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned a .45 Government Model Llama for about 15 years now... 25K+ rounds through it with no problems. I had the trigger reworked right after I bought it, and it is a crisp 2.5 lbs. It is an exceptionally accurate gun, but I may have just gotten lucky with it.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought the 45 Mini-Max in 98. Pd. $200 new. Problem gun.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I have a Llama in 22 caliber. It looks better than it shoots.