In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 conversion kit

curley5curley5 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a miner problem on a Colt 1911 22cal. conversion kit.I have picked up at a deal,But the barrel bushing and the asembly pin is not in the kit.My question is? Can I use these two parts off the Colt 1911 or must I get the original one that goes with the kit.Thanks for any help.Jim [}:)]

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only speak regarding the original floating chamber, .22 conversion kit as made by Colt. Since the barrel is stationary in the frame, mine have worked with any hold open/slide stop. You might have problems with the last round hold open feature in the magazine though. All the magazine followers made in recent times, are made of aluminum. If the tolerances between the follower and hold open/slide stop are incorrect you might have problems.

Same thing with the bushing, as the barrel in the original Colt conversion unit doesn't pivot as long as the bushing fits the frame and barrel you be OK.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I was hoping and thought it might work somthing like that.It is a Colt conversion origonal.I understand most of what you were talking about except the Alum.Piece.Don't rememember what you called it.I'm no pro on gun workings even though I do own a number different ones.Just enjoy shooting them,Don't work on them much.Thanks Jim
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the factory conversion unit does have a different slide stop pin but the standard one may work Like Rufe-Snow stated it may not work with the conversion magazines to hold the slide back after the last shot . As far as bushing my suggestion is to use the one you have if it is not a series 70 "spring finger" type but put the barrel in your pocket and take to your next gun show . then try to find a bushing to fit as close to the out side diameter of barrel without draging. this will help with group size . One other VERY IMPORTANT thing keep the floating chamber area clean inside & out some ammo will need more cleaning then others.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use to have one and found out quickly that copper plated 22s work the best. Plain lead bullets tend to fill the floating chamber with lead.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That seems like the best idea,I believe the gunshow would be my best bet.Never thought about that.I have an old Colt 1911,1944 year,It's the Ithaca with a Colt slide they must have put on it during rebuild.Just thought I would use this convervion kit since I had it.Thanks for all the help Jim