In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone familliar with DSA stuff?

theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in Ask the Experts
Just curious if anyone had experience with DS Arms. They're on the front cover of my latest Shotgun News with their version of the B&T TP9, and does that little honey look sweet! I know it's a gun that has no purpose to speak of, but I like it. Guess the question boils down to though, is the DSA stuff junk or decent?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense
    Thank you for the correction.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boogeyman, how about cutting your sig line down, its a little to wide. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Dosn't DSA stand for Doug Shilen Arms? As in a division of the barrel maker Shilen?

I actually have no clue....I don't see the Doug Shilen name anywhere on their website: http://www.dsarms.com They have the have a half-page advertisement on the cover of the Feb. 1st Shotgun News (newspaper one). The gun I'm asking about in particular is the Brugger & Thomet TP-9 Pistol: http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTTP9

I've seen a version of this pistol made by Steyr, I think. This looks like it's updated with Picatinny Rails and such. I was mainly curious if they were any good.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DSA makes probably the best FAL short of the original FN.
    A former friend of mine had a Steyr SPP, same gun, that broke it's firing pin. He had to have a gun smith machine him a new one as Steyr would not replace it and had no parts in the country for it.

If you buy one, I would buy some of the common replacement parts.
    Extractors, firing pins, springs, etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    DSA makes probably the best FAL short of the original FN.
    A former friend of mine had a Steyr SPP, same gun, that broke it's firing pin. He had to have a gun smith machine him a new one as Steyr would not replace it and had no parts in the country for it.

If you buy one, I would buy some of the common replacement parts.
    Extractors, firing pins, springs, etc.

Sounds good...the new ones aren't made by Steyr, so I was hoping they'd be better, but it sounds like DSA's reputation is pretty good. I'll keep them in mind when I'm looking at a FAL too. I guess they're probably not fly-by-night if they're plonking down the cash for half of the front page of SN.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner1954,

The short answer is No. Here's the long answer:

DSA, also known as DS Arms, is
    run by Dave Selvaggio, hence the
    DS in the name. Since shortly after
    he set up business around 1987, Selvaggio
    has been the prime source in
    the U.S., and perhaps now in the
    world, for FAL rifle parts, rifles,
    accessories, books, you-name-it.
    He traveled all over the world buying
    up arsenals full of FAL things,
    brought them to his Illinois-based
    outlet, and sold them. He has lots
    of experience with numerous other
    high-end semiautomatic and fully
    automatic rifles, but came to prefer
    the "free world's right arm," the
    FAL in its many guises.
    It became clear to Selvaggio several
    years ago that the supply of
    good existing FAL receivers was
    quickly disappearing. He didn't like
    any of the numerous new receivers,
    because his experience told him
    they weren't being made correctly.
    Some of the receivers were soft,
    some brittle. Most if not all of the
    new FAL receivers had major problems
    in one or another area, and Selvaggio
    knew this because he knew
    FALs like very few other living men.
    He decided to do the FAL right.

Best.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a DSA SA58 carbine and agree it is a well made weapon - for $1,500.00 or so bucks it better hit the target even when I have my eyes closed!

Anyway, mine's basically a metric FAL with a 16.25" bbl plus flash hider. Nice trigger as compared to most FALs and very easy to clean up. Mine has the folding bipod legs with black steel handguards. The brake or hider can be unscrewed (LH thread) and different ones installed. Lots of different add ons available such as folding stock, picatinny handguards, sights and a solid scope mounting dust cover.

Most popular is 308 of course, but you can get 260 Rem & 243 Winchester if you like.

Excellent quality. I plan on getting a target version & seeing how I fare against the AR15 crowd.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sweet! I can see myself buying quite a few things from DSA. Thanks for the excellent info nononsense.
  • Options
    cheekyqcheekyq Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been available in Canada for at least two years and their version has stock and foregrip.
    http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=8&do=3&mcid=1&scid=12&pid=48