In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 help

ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I've had a MSH pin brake on me twice within 2 month of each other. I also had the safety pin broke to. Just noticed it just before noticing the MSH pin broke the second time. It's a Springfield Armory 1911. It's had thousands of rounds through it. Close to 4-5,000. I'm not shooting any +p through it. Just some 230 FMJ factory loads. Usually CCI Brass stuff or Winchester Whit box. I've also ran a few hand loads through but they show no signs of excessive pressure. What could be causing this? I've replaced the recoil/slide spring with a 17 pound one every 1000 or so. The main spring is nothing fancy, it came with a reduced trigger pack of springs that I bought from Midway.

Comments

• Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased a high standard barrel for my Remington rand. I need a barrel link and pin, can I get a standard link and pin, put it on my barrel and simply install it or do I have to check that it fits properly in any way before its safe to shoot? Also what is the proper magazine that it would have been issued with? It was made in late 1943.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I think if you are shooting 230 Ball and you are holding the pistol fairly tight a 17# spring may be a bit light I would get a spring kit and keep going up one pound at a time untill the slide did not stay back after the last round . then drop back to the last spring that did work. I must ask why Did you change out the spring that came in the gun?. Also some pins and other small parts are cast "MIM" parts go with good parts from places like Brownells . I have over 250,000 rounds through my Wad gun "LIGHT Target loads" and 10's of thousand of rounds through my Ball gun and never BROKE a pin of any kind.
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on what perry shooter wrote.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The replacement mainspring may be too long and is compressing "solid" when the hammer comes back to full cock or in overcock. That will punch out the pin. The hammer should freely - except for mainspring tension - come back until it touches and actually depresses the grip safety.