In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W model 15-3

lordharleylordharley Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W model 15-3 serial is 5k841xx...what i am wondering is it anyone could tell me round about when this gun was made and also..it has oversized grip but they are S&W and have the S&W on them also has an attachment to the trigger making it wider it is also either chrome or stainless steel..any guess and the value of this gun.

any help is appreciated

thanks
Ben

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    when did smith make this revolver and what would it be worth in 90% NRA? adjustable rear sight, heavy barrel

Its really hard to soar with the Eagles, when you are stuck with turkeys!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone. I am new here and in the short time I have been browsing the firearms have become somewhat of a gunbroker junkie.

Anyway, I was the winning bidder yesterday on what purported to be a S&W Model 15-3. I think the ad is still viewable so in conjunction with my question you may look at Item No.131850508.

I was at my gunsmith's shop today and showed him the pictures included in the ad and he said that item was not a Model 15-3 because of the absence of an adjustable sight. As such he believed it was a Model 10. I sent an email to the seller to see what he would say, but in the meantime thought I would ask the experts here for your impressions. I don't think that the apparent disparity is a deal breaker from my perspective unless any of you believe otherwise.

Look forward to seeing what you think.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up a S&W model 15-3 the other day and was curious of the approximate manufacture date. The serial number is 1K86945.

What a nice gun. Rairly will I find a deal in our local paper. The gun was in the box, wax paper, and cleaning kit (unopened) for $225.00. I thought it was a good deal. The cylinder doesn't even look like it's been turned. For that nice of a gun, I just payed what the fellow was asking, never even tried to barter.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your revolver was made in 1974. As far as your other questions are concerned, they lack clarity. If you post pictures of the S & W, maybe we can figure out what your talking about.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, your questions are a little unclear, but here goes.

The grips may be off a model 19 or 66 which are magnums and came with the larger grips.

It sounds like it may have a trigger shoe, which is easily removable.

The finish would be nickel if its a model 15. The same gun in stainless is the model 67.

These are model 15's... made in blued or nickel finishes

[img][/img]1919andguns007.jpg

This is a model 67 made in stainless only.

[img][/img]IMG_0008-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the information i will try and post some pictures tonight and see if you can help with the rest...as far as the finish on my gun it looks more like the model 67 the you have posted...i'll get some pictures up

thanks
    ben
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben.... the model number is stamped on the frame. Open the cylinder and look inside the hinge area where the cylinder pivots. It should be stamped there.