In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pachmeyer fold over scope mount???

LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
today while at a local gunshop a gentleman was trying to sell a few rifles,and one was a 30-06 remington 03? i believe 03, it had been restocked and reblued, it had a pachmeyer scope mount that allowed you to fold it over to use the iron sites.,is this a military item? and was it rare? or were they popular? thanks,Loko[:D]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Years ago They were very popular. on even cilivan rifles.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a military scope expert but I am familiar with the scope mount by Pachmayre that you refer to. It was called a pivot mount and yes they were quite popular back in the 60's. My father had one on his Remington 742, which my brother still has. I never heard of the government using pivot mounts but they might have tried a few of them. Someone else will have to speak to that.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't military that I ever heard. Almost surely added in the sporterizing process. Back then people worried alot - with some basis in fact - that their scope would fail or that they could not "find" a game animal in the narrow field of view, so Pachmayr offered the swing-over mount. There were a couple of others and a lot of quick detachables so you could get to the iron sights.

Real USGI 03-A4s used Redfield scope mounts, M1Cs had Griffin & Howe.