In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

glock .380

bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Can someone here please tell me why Glock can't sell their .380 here?

Hizzoner

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comments

• Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why are these not availiable on the US market? they make two of them the 25 and 28, why dont they import them?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The don't meet the import point control requirements of the Gun Control Act of 1968.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask the Democrats. [xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    The don't meet the import point control requirements of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

And what are those??
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no, they make them for countries where non military calibers are required.
    not enough market to sell them here, or they would make some here
    They are on the same frame as the 9mm ie md 26
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303

It isn't that there isn't a market. They simply are not importable for the average Joe. The GCA of 1968 locked the import of foreign made "Saturday Night Specials", by requiring a certain number of "points" t be importable. The 380 Glocks do not have enough points due to their weaker caliber which gets less points, other criteria are grips, barrel length, and sights.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are available for LE. I really hate Glocks, but I was considering getting one just because it is something different.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    It's a good question.

All Glock pistols sold in the US are manufactured here, so it's not due to any sort import restrictions. As for it being unprofitable to sell them here, Glock manufactures 24 models of handguns but only the two chambered for .380 ACP (25 & 28) and their slide mounted safety equipped 17 are unavailable here.

It would be a simple matter for them to tool up for manufacturing them. Their frames are the same as models they're already manufacturing here and, due to their being blow-back, their slide assemblies are actually more simple to manufacture than any others in their line.

It's true that these are no smaller or lighter than some of their 9mm brothers, but as aggressively as Glock operates in the handgun market you'd expect them to at least offer a pistol in this caliber.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats not what they said when I was at the glock factoryquote:Originally posted by richbug
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303

It isn't that there isn't a market. They simply are not importable for the average Joe. The GCA of 1968 locked the import of foreign made "Saturday Night Specials", by requiring a certain number of "points" t be importable. The 380 Glocks do not have enough points due to their weaker caliber which gets less points, other criteria are grips, barrel length, and sights.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought they started making them here recently? I was almost certain I've seen them available for order from somewhere. I remember looking at it going "why would anyone want that, just get it in a 9mm, its the same size gun"
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or maybe it was a really expensive airsoft gun replica... And I was saying "man it would be cheaper to get a real one"