In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 37 vs. 37a?

gbeauvingbeauvin Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited June 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and was hoping I could find the answer to a question here. I have my great-grandfather's shotgun (I'm 32, but i really don't know when the gun was bought), it's a single-shot 12 guage. Someone who saw it said something about "an old model 37". I did some research and decided he must have been talking about a Winchester Model 37, but now I'm wondering whether it's a 37 or a 37A? I didn't see a serial number on it, but I haven't done a thorough search yet either (It's not at my house at the moment or I'd get it out and look closely). It's got the word "champion" printed on the barrel.

Could anyone describe the visible differences between a 37 and a 37A so that I can figure out which one I've got?

I bought a cleaning kit and found a butt-plate that should fit it (it was missing the butt-plate when I got it). I was thinking of using some sort of adhesive to attach the plate that I've got since it's a little bit squishy (probably a Good Thing(tm)!) and I'm having visions of screws being jammed into my shoulder...

Is there anything else that needs doing to an old shotgun before firing it? A friend and I went to a skeet/trap clinic a few weeks ago and we're planning to go again soon. I'd really like to be able to use my own gun that's got some "history" rather than renting one at the range. I purposefully chose a breech-loading doublebarrel gun over an automatic when using the borrowed gun, so I'm assuming the recoil will be similar with my gun?

thanks,
Rick

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,977 ******
    edited November -1
    FIRST WECLOME TO THE ZOO FORUM. WE'LL NEED MORE INFO. THAN YOU'VE GIVEN US SO FAR. THE "CHAMPION" COULD BE AN IVER JOHNSON 'CHAMPION' MODEL. THIS IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE WIN. M-37 (FROM A DISTANCE). THE WIN. 37 & 37A ARE TWO DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT GUNS, THE M-37 NEVER WAS SERIAL NUMBERED. IF YOU DO SHOOT IT FOR TRAP OR SKEET BUY THE LIGHtest LOADS YOU CAN FIND. BOTH THE WEIGHT AND STOCK DESIGN = MUCH FELT RECOIL [:0].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the welcome, Mike! What information will you need? I can't lay my hands on the gun tonight, but if I have a "hit list" of things to look at or measure and remember/record I can do that next time I see the gun (probably this weekend). The only thing that made me think it might be a Winchester 37 was a comment made by a guy at the range, so I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely!

-Rick
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Floyd621
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=74476228
    Is it like this one?

It certainly looks similar, though without the gun in front of me I can't compare the silhouette. It definately didn't have that much writing on it though! The word "CHAMPION" is printed on top of the barrel near where it breaks, and there was no apparent writing on the metal on either side (where one in the link says "Champion" and "IVER JOHNSON.... CYCLE WORKS")

I should be able to get the gun this weekend, and I'll see if I can describe it better, and compare it to that iver johnson, and any pictures I can find of a 37 or 37a.

-Rick
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard!!

Champion was also a trade name used by H.C. Squires, L.P. Lovell, and Iver Johnson on single shot shotguns. We will need every mark on the shotgun, and I mean every stamped/engraved mark!! It could be any of the above.

I would highly recommend having a competent gunsmith inspect it before you fire it as it may not be suitible for modern ammunition.

Good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old Fool
    Welcome aboard!!

Champion was also a trade name used by H.C. Squires, L.P. Lovell, and Iver Johnson on single shot shotguns. We will need every mark on the shotgun, and I mean every stamped/engraved mark!! It could be any of the above.

I would highly recommend having a competent gunsmith inspect it before you fire it as it may not be suitible for modern ammunition.

Good luck

I'll see if my sister can bring it over tonight so I can go over it thoroughly in search of markings (and I want to clean it out, too). If it turns out that it's not chambered for modern shells, is there a source for shells the right size, or does it become a wall hangar? I'm not really interested in reloading my own shells right now, so if that's what it takes then I may need to look into an alternative gun to use.

thanks,
    Rick
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old Fool

I've got the shotgun down in my basement now, and I looked all over for any sorts of markings. The only thing it has is the word "CHAMPION" (in all caps) on top of the barrel near where it breaks, and "PATD.APR~~~~~~~~APR15'02 PATS.PENDING"

The ~~~~ is where I couldn't make out the letters.

No markings on the sides or bottom of the gun, and nothing anywhere else on the barrel. The buttplate is missing.

The hammer is above the lever, if it matters.

-Rick
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did a google seach on that patent date, and came up with this link...

http://antiqueguns.com/pushpin/src/bbs.cgi?M::000002::P005822::0

It seems to indicate that this is likely an iver johnson champion, or at least a gun using their patent. I'm surprised that there are no other visible marks on the gun.

-Rick