In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

looking for info on stevens buckhorn 56c rifle

gasgzlrgasgzlr Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
Looking for more information about a rifle that I impulse bought the other day. It's a weathered, 22LR "J Stevens Arms Co" that is "Model 56c". I looked around the internet a little bit but there's not much out there about it.

Specifically I would like to know if there are some magazines still being sold for this rifle. I think I saw some Savage 5-round clips that fit the 65 and 84c, but I do not know if they will also work with my 56c.

In addition, it seems like these rifles were made from 32 to 48. Can anyone verify? Kind of disappointing there's no serial number.

Lastly, I was wondering what I can apply to the wood to help protect what's left of it. I've only had semiautomatic pistols, so this is my first firearm with wood.

So far I love this gun. It was the best $50 I ever spent. Someone tried checkering the stock by hand and did a slightly messy job of it, but it adds character, along with some knicks, and some very minor pitting and wear on the metals. The best part, other than its price, is that it shoots darn straight. At 25 yards using only the sights, I was able to place a 1 inch group with 5 remington rounds. Not bad! It's also quite nice to shoot 22s for a couple of hours for a few bucks, where I used to spend $75 on 40sw and 9mm easy!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    My reference put dates of MFG at 1935-1948. Beyond trying Numrich Arms or Bob's gunparts for a magazine, you might watch the auctions here at Gunbroker. Might also post a request on the Rimfire Central.com Savage forum or on Savage Shooters.com.
    Those old Stevens were good shooters!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 22 Rifles among many other guns did not by law have to have serial numbers until the 1968 gun control act. I like a product Ballistol because it will protect metal /wood/ leather / and is NON toxic. can't help with other information.