In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Addressing package to send to FFL

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've sold a rifle reciever and have an ffl to send to. I've done the EZ check on the ATF website and everything is good. The name on the ffl is the name of the company. There is no way to write the name without making it obvious that it contains a firearm. I'm only sending it to the "premises address" on the FFL. So my question is can I put the buyer's name, the person who I've been in contact with at the gun shop and sent me the FFL, or do I have to put the company's name on it? I'm notifying the post office in writing that it contains a firearm, I just don't want it marked for the whole world to know what is in the package. Thanks, [:)]

EDIT:
Thanks for the replies. I had thought about using the initials of the company. I think I'll do buyer c/o abc. The person who signed the FFL is the president of the company and has handwritting worse than a doctor!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I have run into this problem in the past, i have just used the initials of the company. According to the P.O. regs nothing should be on the package identifying it as a firearm, or firearm related.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello flyingtorpedo: True all FFL have a "business name" but the license itself is issued to one individual! IE
    John Smith
    ABC Guns
    123 first. St
    city, state, zip code.

Look in the lower right hand corner of the FFL copy.

What I do is address the package"
    John Smith C/O ABC

I do the same, I leave off the words that draw attention such as "Guns, Firearms, Gunsmithing" etc.Of course the local Post Office people know, but the rest of the "handlers don't.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I've received firearms direct from Smith&Wesson. All they had in the return address area on the shipping label was the street location (address). Not the company name. If that helps.

Long gun, or handgun receiver? USPS? Or common carrier (UPS, etc)?

If it's a long gun receiver, ship via US mail (USPS). Much cheaper.
    They will ask you the "five questions". Just say no to all. Joe

If a handgun receiver, and assuming you're not an FFL, you must ship via UPS, or any other commercial shipper. Joe
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    You do not need to notify the post office in writing the package contains a firearm if it is a long gun or long gun action. Only handguns require a form be filled out.
  • Options
    plc1plc1 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I ship I put the company leters and att. for the purchaseroff to the side that way the FFL knows who its for. A pe the previous poster ship viaUSPS answer no o the ?..Pat
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Hello flyingtorpedo: True all FFL have a "business name" but the license itself is issued to one individual"... no this isn't true, IF the business is a corporation ie Joe's guns, Inc.the license is issued to the business and anyone working there CAN be authorized to use it (receive, sell, send,) firearms.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "Hello flyingtorpedo: True all FFL have a "business name" but the license itself is issued to one individual"... no this isn't true, IF the business is a corporation ie Joe's guns, Inc.the license is issued to the business and anyone working there CAN be authorized to use it (receive, sell, send,) firearms.

When that's the case, I simply send it to "Joes, Inc." at their registered address with adult signature required. I never use the word "guns, knives, firearms, etc." in the address. I'm a Ka-Bar knives dealer and when Ka-Bar sends me a shipment, even their return address just says "Customer Service Dept." with their Olean, NY address.