In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Limbsaver on Winchester Model 88

olsenjbolsenjb Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I want to put a limbsaver butt plate/recoil pad on my Winchester model 88 .308. I printed off the template recommended on their website (without the computer resizing it), and it doesn't quite line up. It's just a touch too small. So, rather than printing off a bunch of others to try to find one that does fit, I thought I'd ask if anyone on here has done this to their model 88 and what model limbsaver they used?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to keep the factory original butt plate, and keep the stock at regular length. Take it to a good gunsmith, and he can do a grind to fit job, that looks like it came from the factory that way. I do believe they make a slip on too.
  • Options
    olsenjbolsenjb Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In hindsight, that's probably what I should have done. However, I've now completed refinishing the stock, so I hate to attempt a grind-to-fit recoil pad. If I can't find a precision-fit model, then I may have to go with your recommendation of a slip-on.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    olsenjb,

"However, I've now completed refinishing the stock, so I hate to attempt a grind-to-fit recoil pad."

That's what a gunsmith or stockmaker gets paid for, adding a new pad to a stock that is already perfect. The pucker factor goes up significantly and you go a little slower but even the most expensive rifles need a new pad occasionally.

Don't be cheap since it's a good rifle and worth the effort. If you don't feel confident, let a professional handle it for you.

Best.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1