In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45-70 Questions

frykasjfrykasj Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hey everyone!

So I went out and bought myself an H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic chambered in .45-70. A friend of mine heard that I reload my ammunition, and gave me some .458, 500 Gr. Barnes X Bullets (the pure copper ones).

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a good loading recipe for these puppies, or should I unload these on someone that has a .458 Win Mag (etc.)?

And also, what pressures can this gun take? I hope never to encroach into the Ruger #1 loads (they look scary, and my shoulder goes weak at the very thought), but it would be nice to know this gun is built fairly strong.

(H&R still won't honor the barrel accessory program for us canucks, but for $450 the Buffalo Classic is still a bargain comparatively)

Thanks for your comments!

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a group of 45/70s and reload for all of them. I know the reloading manuals list Trapdoor loads up to 18K CUP, don't know if that means just older Springfields or all rifles based on that design. I think I'd play it safe & stay @ 18 loads. The next step up is the Win 1886 & Marlin 1895 then the Ruger #1s & Siamese Mauser.

I put some 500 grain Hornadys through my 45/70 Contender handgun and I load to the Marlin level, was a bit of a waste - I could have used cast given the fps I got.

Personally I'd get them to someone with a 458 or 460 Weatherby. And 45/70 recoil isn't that bad - just slip a pad on that buttplate & you'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And ruin my color case hardened steel buttplate?!? (maybe I'll use a limbsaver shoulderpad)
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well - it's all good news for you -- I have a buffalo classic as well as several other 45-70's, my favorite cartridge - to start with , the iron sights on this gun are great - the gun is capable of ragged hole groups at 100 yds, even with my old eyes. if it gets hot it will walk shots vertically an inch or two is all. As for strenth --it's a strong one - look at the evedence! Buffalo Bore states that H&R is one of the recommened guns for their very hot 45-70 loads - check the cabela's catalog if you have one- also note that this gun is made in popular bottle neck rounds like 30-06 , 270 and others that go 50Kpsi like the H&R handi rifle in the new 50Kpsi 500 S&W - You will have no problem loading with the Marlin 1895 and Win 1886 data - let your sholder be the judge - even these are not fun off the bench - I like "slow" loads myself - they poke a hole in paper and deer just fine and are very accurate. As to those solids you have - good for Africa if you're going, otherwise load them light and paper punch -- just google 45-70 loading data and you will het tons of it for any level you want. My favorite - go to powder - for mild to wild is H4198
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep stick to trapdoor loads. I think lyman still makes the 330gr Gould Hollow point (457122?). 45-70's work really well with cast bullets. You might consider the 310 lyman tool for reloading, Flea bay lists them often. Buy brass that doesn't have the bullet cannalore, it will save you one case trimming.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by frykasj
    And ruin my color case hardened steel buttplate?!? (maybe I'll use a limbsaver shoulderpad)

Oops - actually that's what I meant. A Limbsaver.

And as you may have figured due to the responses, perhaps a bit of confusion - which I guess I got the ball rolling on, sorry. Do you have one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---rogers---commemorative---689688-hrlbh4570.shtml

Or this: http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/buffalo.aspx

The Trapdoor (which is about 1970's era repro manufacture) should use the lower level 45/70 loads, the newer manufactured break open is not so limited.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I have a group of 45/70s and reload for all of them. I know the reloading manuals list Trapdoor loads up to 18K CUP, don't know if that means just older Springfields or all rifles based on that design. I think I'd play it safe & stay @ 18 loads. The next step up is the Win 1886 & Marlin 1895 then the Ruger #1s & Siamese Mauser.

You forgot to mention the Winchester Model 1885 and Browning B78... both of which can handle very stout 45-70 loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

You forgot to mention the Winchester Model 1885 and Browning B78... both of which can handle very stout 45-70 loads.

Agree - I have a modern 1885 (which is to say, it's a Browning) - in 7 WSM. I love my #1s, but the 1885 far outclasses them in accuracy. And without the "you may have to do that voodoo you do so well" routine on the forearm.

I use 1895 loads in my Contender, all seems OK. But I'm not certain what my 45/70 max load should be in my SMLE. I have to figure it handles the 1895 levels fine, got to admit I'd like to use the Ruger #1 loads on occasion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My .45-70 happens to be the newer break-action, based on a color case-hardened handi-rifle frame. But, Mr. Fletcher, I do like the looks of that little big horn rifle... (If only I hadn't bought this house! Darn these groceries! Who needs telephone?) or a nice Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express (I may be homeless, but I got a darn fine rifle!).

I just fired 55 rounds of handloads with some Varget behind a Speer 300 Gr. Jacketed hollow point at our range one evening (trapdoor pressures). Without the limbsaver, This would be torture, even for a young guy like me. I chuckled as one person said that recoil doesn't bother him. I handed him this rifle and watched as his shoulder got pounded purple. (His only rifle is a .303. He quit after 5 rounds)