In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hi there, could you help me identify this shotgun?

wild_Willie2wild_Willie2 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi there.

My father is about to stop his hunting days, and now I (his son) will take over his guns.

He owns a german produced 16x9,3x72R combination over/under weapon that got proofed 7/1928 most likely in Ulm, Germany.

Does anybody have a clue as about who made it, and what it would be worth ?

Greets

William

P1010061.jpg
P1010052.jpg
P1010033.jpg
P1010032.jpg
P1010031.jpgP1010016.jpg
P1010013.jpg
P1010010.jpg
P1010073.jpg

P1010070.jpg
detail6.jpg

weapon.jpg
detail6.jpg
detail5.jpg
detail4.jpg
detail3.jpg

detail2.jpg
detail1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello very nice looking piece Be aware that during this time there were many one gunsmith shops all over Europe these were members of the gun-makers guild. The value of your Combo gun will be determined from the workmanship "again very nice" rather then who made or sold it. IMHO The maker is usually on the rib of the Barrel
  • Options
    gunrepgunrep Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a new member also. I have the Big brother to this gun. Mine is the Drilling. a Side by side 16 ga with the 9.3 rifle on the bottom. It is my understanding that most of these firearms made by German craftsmen were done in custom shops and they were afraid to put the complete names on them for fear of Nazi reprisal. The Drillibg I have is offered on this site for sale at 4500.00. The engraving pattern and shell box in the stock match mine. Is your trigger guard made of horn? The drilling has a horn trigger guard and butt plate. Do you have the claw scope mounts?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A high quality, expensive, custom made, combination gun like this would have the makers name marked. Generally it was done on top of the barrel. The only time this is not seen is if the customer ordering/paying for the gun specifically instructed the maker not to put his name on the gun. Although the scope mount is obviously a pro job probably also done in Germany? It might have been done after the original manufacturer of the gun. This would obviously obscured the original makers name. My 2?.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice gun. Its not easy to figure out who made these guns. I have one very much like it and about the same age that my father-in-law brought back after WWII. Mine has the same configuration (9.3 X 72R) and 16 gauge. You may know this already but if you intend to shoot the shotgun barrel check the chamber as many of those were 2 9/16 rather than 2 3/4. You can still get those shells, and the 9.3 X 72R also, but they're expensive. I too tried to find out who the manufacturer was but learned that in the '20s/30s there were many small gun makers in Germany and most have long since been out of business. There are few records, at least available to us in the US, about those companies. Value is not easy to calculate. Wouldn't sell mine for any reasonable price, but wouldn't pay a lot to get another one either. Suspect the market price is somewhere in the $1,000 to $2,000 range and perhaps more if you have the claw scope mounts.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Krupp was one of the biggest and finest gunmakers in Germany before WWII. Do a "google" for more info. Fine gun. Have you shot it??
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Krupp was one of the biggest and finest gunmakers in Germany before WWII. Do a "google" for more info. Fine gun. Have you shot it??

Krupp was the company who made the special steel, that the barrels were manufactured from. The guns that Krupp did make, would have been to heavy to carry slung over your shoulder for hunting.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wild_Willie2,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

"K m G" for Kupfer-mantel Geschoss (copper jacket) bullet.

12 grams = 185 grains bullet weight.

Crown over 'U' = Proved in final assembly.

'N' and the word 'Nitro' are obvious for smokeless powder proving.

Crown over 'E' Express rifled.

Krupp made barrel and ordnance steel not custom firearms.

Best.
  • Options
    wild_Willie2wild_Willie2 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response.

I will try to hang onto this gun, I always liked it, even since I was little. It is beautifully proportioned/balanced and it's light. When I aim it, it feels like an extension of my arm.

My fathers 12 gauge doubles are much heavier and more unwieldy.

I think I will try to clean this gun up using MOS and buy myself this
    adapter in order to fire .22 rimfire ammo from it. At least than I can afford to fire it (ammo costs about 6$ a piece) and at the same time reduce the wear on the weapon

bild2267_2.jpg

I will have a look a the top af the barrel this afternoon (it's still at my dad's place) to see if there are more markings on it.

Greets

William
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful on cleaning it up.You may damage the value/collectibility of the piece,even though I doubt you plan on selling it,it's something to bear in mind.

that is a very very nice piece.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "The guns that Krupp did make, would have been to heavy to carry slung over your shoulder for hunting."... here is one of Krupp's more mobile 'guns'