In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.243 question

surveillancemikesurveillancemike Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I want to resight my first rifle i EVER used and bought when i was young, a .243 savage mdl 110. My dad doesnt remember what he shot to zero it. I want to shoot at 25m and was wondering if anyone had a idea of what the zero would be if i zeroed it at 25m. I dont know the round wieght yet, but i want to shoot coyote, so 150+m. Any help would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello This is not a direct answer to your question But I suggest you Zero at 100 yards .A zero at 25 yards will most likely be at a point that the arc of the bullets path is still below line of sight of the scope. a 1/4 error "about the size of the bullet hole" will be a 1 inch error at 100 yards.I can't imagine an outdoors range of just 25 yards. with that said any weight bullet available in 243 from the lightest to the heaviest will most likely have the same point of impact at 25 yards within hundreds of an inch it is only at much longer ranges that they will Have large difference in vertical drop.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too many variables to give you accurate data. Height of scope is the most critical to ballpark it for you. But if I were picking lottery numbers....I'd say you are zero'd at 240m with 87gr pill.[:p]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    surveillancemike,

If you were to use 80 gr. bullets pushed out at 3200(factory gives like 3280?...so subtract 80) and zeroed at 25 yds. You would be zeroed on the back side at around 275 yds. With a maximum bullet height of around four inches(at 150 yds no less!). Remember that this is just an approximation. You still need to take your rounds out and see just exactly where they hit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, i will use the m16 paper target at 25m and get a tight group. Then move out 300m and see if i am even hitting paper. If not bring it in 25m at a time till i do.
  • Options
    wuchakwuchak Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest going to Remington's site and downloading their free Shoot program. You can select whatever Remington ammo is the closest to that which you are going to use. Then in the program you can set the scope height above the bore. Then you choose the game you are going to to shoot and it will calculate the maximum point blank range for you and it will tell you the zero distance you should use. If you plug in this zero distance on the main page of the program and then enter the distance you are shooting from it will tell you how high or low you should be at that distance to zero at the maximum point blank range. You can also view a trajectory and energy graph for the bullet. If you have any questions after you download it let me know and I'll be glad to help out. It's a great program but it does require that you play around with it for a little bit to figure out all of the features.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, so i think i figure out the program out, i plugged in the numbers. In the graph, i want to make sure i understand it, that dotted line in the middle is the line of sight or muzzle line right? If that is right, and i got his half way right, a 75gr v-max @ 25m should be good to 200m, how does that sound?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surveillancemike
    Ok, so i think i figure out the program out, i plugged in the numbers. In the graph, i want to make sure i understand it, that dotted line in the middle is the line of sight or muzzle line right? If that is right, and i got his half way right, a 75gr v-max @ 25m should be good to 200m, how does that sound?

Sounds much to short. It should be 265m.

On the graph that his the line of sight, but the trajectory shown is based on the current zero. First you need to find is the zero that gives you the longest point blank range for the game you are hunting. Please give this a try:
    1. On the Settings Menu select Gun Sight Heigh and enter the correct height for the center of your scope above the boreline. Note that you can also change from Yards to Meters on the Settings menu.

2. On the Calculate Menu select Optimise Load,select the appropriate vital zone size, and click Find Optimum Settings. The Optimum Settings will display below the button. For the 75gr V-max and a 5 inch vital zone is says, " 2.05 inches high at 100 meters for a 225 yard zero. Point blank range is 265 meters." Now close the Opimise dialog box.

3. Back in the main program window in the Target Range field enter the range you will be sighting in at. In the Zero Range field enter the zero range from step 2. Click Shoot and the bullet placement on the target at that range will appear on the target to the left and the proper setting will be given in the bottom left. Using a Target range of 25m and a Zero range of 225m for the 75gr V-max it says to set the sights to shoot 0.24 inches low at 25m for a 225m zero.

4. Now if you go back to the Calculate menu and select Graph Trajectory you'll see that the bullet never rises more than 1/2 of the vital zone size selected above the line of sight and it falls 1/2 the distance below it at the maximum point blank range.

Have fun!
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For hunting, I sight my rifles in so that the bullet's path is never more than 1" above or below the line of sight. That gives me a zero point of impact at about 150 - 200 yards. Differs slightly between calibers and bullet weights. I limit my shots to that distance and then "hold right on". Same hold for all my rifles. It works for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, i will try that, now, for simple purposes, on the target part of teh program, i want to hit where the bullet is striking the mock target in real life(does that make sense?).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surveillancemike
    OK, i will try that, now, for simple purposes, on the target part of teh program, i want to hit where the bullet is striking the mock target in real life(does that make sense?).

You are correct provided you have entered the correct target distance and the correct zero range for the max point blank range for the game you are after.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am goign to change it up a little, i found a killer deal on some PMC 80gr, so i will enter that, dont think it will change that much.