In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

supressor question

Aaron.Combs1Aaron.Combs1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
I may be able to "acquire" (legally)a supressor. however if i do will it be legal for me to just posess, (not use) i will of course register it with my state of residence so i can use, but just one of those curiosity questions. i am leaning twoards NO but i am not too, too familiar with Class III items and procedures except SBR and autos. can anyone help

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have to pay the Federal $200.00 tax before you are able to purchase. Make sure they are legal in your state of residence. They are registered with the Feds just like any other Class 3 stuff. Other than getting the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your area to sign off on your paperwork to send in, I am not aware of individual states having any registration of these.
  • Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for your question about just owning it and not using it, as long as your are "papered" to own there is nothing to say you must use it. Most Class 3 stuff is rarely ,if ever, used.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that is the thig... it will not be purchased. therefore no transfer to-from a class III dealer will take place (this is where the whole grey area is where i need the advice) i know that if you normally purchased one that the dealer would hold untill paperwork/fees cleared and got paid, but since there will be no money transfer and no dealer involved....could i hold onto it legally untill everything cleared?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    but i want to use eventually
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aaron.Combs1
    that is the thig... it will not be purchased. therefore no transfer to-from a class III dealer will take place (this is where the whole grey area is where i need the advice) i know that if you normally purchased one that the dealer would hold untill paperwork/fees cleared and got paid, but since there will be no money transfer and no dealer involved....could i hold onto it legally untill everything cleared?

Even if you do not fork out any $$ for it, you have to have it transferred thru a classIII if it is going to be legal. The current owner, and yourself need to do this. If not, it can be as bad as getting caught with a full auto MG, and not having it registered. To legally own it, it has to be papered(registered to you)...this requires a $200.00 tax stamp.
  • Options
    kamikazetsunamiskamikazetsunamis Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you are going to be shooting foxes or racoons in your suburban neighborhood dont waste the money
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have it in your possession and control without a tax stamp you will be committing a felony. It MUST be transferred to you and you have to pay the $200 tax.

I use my suppressors a LOT.

CP
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think there is one state that allows possesion but not use. I'm thinking it was WA state. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, on to the other questions. If your buddy lives in your state and wants to give you this suppressor (assuming it is properly registered) you can just fill out a Form 4 ATF form and send it in with a check for $200 (not an SOT Tax) and your print cards, passport photo, etc. The suppressor MUST stay in his possession until the approved form 4 is returned to him. If your buddy lives out of state, he will need to transfer the suppressor to a dealer in your state ($200 Tax not SOT) and then you will need to do a Form 4 and transfer it from the dealer to you (another $200 tax not SOT). If you both live in the same state (and it's legal to own in your state) you do not need to go through a Class 3 dealer. Only dealers, importers and Manufacturers pay SOT taxes.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mooseyard
    I think there is one state that allows possesion but not use. I'm thinking it was WA state. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, on to the other questions. If your buddy lives in your state and wants to give you this suppressor (assuming it is properly registered) you can just fill out a Form 4 ATF form and send it in with a check for $200 (not an SOT Tax) and your print cards, passport photo, etc. The suppressor MUST stay in his possession until the approved form 4 is returned to him. If your buddy lives out of state, he will need to transfer the suppressor to a dealer in your state ($200 Tax not SOT) and then you will need to do a Form 4 and transfer it from the dealer to you (another $200 tax not SOT). If you both live in the same state (and it's legal to own in your state) you do not need to go through a Class 3 dealer. Only dealers, importers and Manufacturers pay SOT taxes.

Moose nailed it.

Why would you buy/get one and not use it? They are quite fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it has not been registered yet. i dont know its complicated. i can legealy acquire this supressor that has not been registered yet. i use it for work now, however it is being given to me by my work. these supressors are not registered in my buisness as they are a "disposable" item. once i acquire it, i can legaly own it untill i leave my job. once i do this i assume i will have to take it to a class III for them to do the paperwork. is this correct?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, that is not correct.

Suppressors are serial numbered when made by a licensed manufacturer; the serial number is registered with ATF at that time. All subsequent transfers must be approved by ATF. This is the ONLY way it can legally be done.

Possession of a suppressor that is not registered is a felony. I have no doubt that it is complicated. I suggest that you distance yourself from this suppressor ---- & this place of employment.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok....did not know that...i know that there is a number on it but didnt know that it is registered alreay. cant really leave my employment for a while. but thanks for the advice!