In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

marlin 1894 44mag

bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a friend that got took on a rifle purchase at a gunshow recently. He bought a 1894 44 mag the barrel is no joke missing the rifleing for about the last four inches. I know it sounds strange but its true. He came out to my farm to shoot it with me because he couldnt get it to group at all, and I looked at the bore and about fell over it look like it was made that way, the rifling just stops at the same place. He is very disgusted with it and said he would sell it to me cheap as hell if I wanted to deal with it. My question is were can I find a factory original barrel or similar (I believe it is a 20" round) for it and would it be worth it after paying maybe $100 or 150 for the rifle.

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    numrich shows a barrell instock
    Barrel, 22", .44 Mag., Round, Sporter, New
    Model: MARLIN 1894
    Item No. 455940
    Additional Shipping charge: $1.00
    Retail Price: $72.35
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Are you sure the rifleing is gone? The barrel just might be leaded up very bad. The microgroove barrels lead up very bad with lead bullets.
    Mine did with lead bullets.
  • Options
    bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks savage I didnt find that when I looked but I never have gotten the hang of that site.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would give it a soak overnite in Kroil, and scub the daylights out of it. There MAY be rifling completely leaded up- in which case, accuracy WILL be in the toity.