In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Rand barrel question

JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Rand 1911A #948191 with a barrel that has a 'S' and a 'P' on the left side of the barrel, this matches the pic in my Clawson little book as a Springfield barrel, BUT above that it is marked 'AG-1' I could not find any reference on this mark. Any thoughts?

By the serial number (1943 vintage) I figured this should have a High standard barrel, so I wonder if this is incorrect or if it is an arsenal 'repair', any thoughts? I read early Rands could have a Springfield but I inferred that to mean 1942 vintage. This is supposed to be a soldier 'bring back' and original as it was brought back.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrels could have been swapped during cleaning, or replaced at any level of ordnance. Many Springfield replacement barrels were installed during & after WW2.

It's possible that your barrel is original, but unlikely.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree nmyers most likely Not original barrel but I learned long time ago to never say never when it comes to wartime 1911A1's . With that said The original maker of barrels High Standard are some of the easiest to find . Go to my profile and email me if you need one. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"

edit AG-1 most likely heat treat lot number. if it is on the chamber round side above the S P
  • Options
    JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, any idea what the AG-1 mark is for?