In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x51 Blanks for reloading?

losttraillosttrail Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was doing some spring cleaning and came across some old 7.62X51 (.308) blanks linked. Can't remember if they were for the M60 or M240 MG.

Anyway, I'm curious as to where these can be cut down and used for reloading as hunting ammo?

These have the extra .600" of brass in place of the bullet, and had the plastic plug in the end. OAL of the brass is 2.615". These have all had the plastic plug knocked out and powder removed, but primers are unused.

Anyone ever used these?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The linked 7.62X51 works in both the M-60 and M240.

That would be a monumental task assuming it could even be done. You would have to somehow figure out how much brass to leave, then re-shape it to the demensions of a normal 7.62 case. I doubt you would be successful.

I dont know of anyone who makes tools for such a task.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    While there are exceptions, military blank cartridges are typically produced from condemned brass, that is brass which is not up to specifications for loading as service ammunition. Even if these cases were MILSPEC the amount of work involved to turn these into suitable cases hardly seems worth the effort.
  • Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO NOT TRY TO MAKE FIRABLE CARTRIDGES FROM BLANKS. THEY ARE MADE FROM SUBSRANDARD BRASS AND ARE QUITE APT TO BLOW UP YOUR GUN OR WORSE YET CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SHOOTER. EITHER USE THEM AS INTENDED AS BLANKS OR RID YOURSELF OF THEM. JUST A WORD TO THE WISE.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Notice your blanks don't have the "fire-blue" stain on the end like service ammo? That, in itself is not important, but it's a coin-toss as to what else has been left out of the manufacturing process also. Best, Joe
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Case volume will be different- different thickness of brass- and case thickness at neck will be a nightmare. Don't.

ALSO- the blank rd for the M-60 carried a lot more powder than standard 7.62 NATO blanks- and should not be fired with a Blank Firing Attachment in any other weapon- can produce WAY to much gas, damage weapon, or blow the BFA off the muzzle.
  • Options
    losttraillosttrail Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all.

I had pretty much come to the same conclusions after putting calipers to the blanks and to a once-fired case.

Just checking.