In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cracked cases

BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recieved from a friend a large coffee can full of 9mm rounds all fmj lc markings on bottom. dump them out to count and sort and noticed that several maybe a good 2 dozen or more have cracks in them,and mostly from the bottom of can.could the weight from all those bullets cause those cracks? and should they be stored in boxes like how they are shipped? thank you for any and all responses.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi....I recently purchased a box of "new old stock" 41 mag Winchester Silvertip ammo. Four of the twenty cartridges have cracked cases at the case mouth. These are original factory loads, not reloaded ammo. Does fireing them create any accuracy or safety problems? Thanks....BT
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those were designed to be shot as an unadultered casing, without the cracks. I din't think I would want to take the chance of getting a blast of hot gas, and/or debris in my face...but that is just my honest opinion.

Best
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Over time, cases not properly annealed will develop cracks. In an emergency I would fire them, but barring an emergency, I would not. Cartridge rifle chambers are not designed to have burning powder come into direct contact and all sorts of little problems can arise.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    return to sender[;)]
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    depending on the size of the cracks, i would shoot them and have done so in the past.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've shot a lot of 8mm Mauser ammo that had cracked case necks with no issue. I've also occasionally reloaded a revolver case with a split neck that I didn't notice when sorting cases and fired it, no problem.

The only 2 concerns are how long the crack is- a 1/16" near the top or less and it should be good to go but if it gets down well into the body, junk it. My rule of thumb would be if the crack is shorter than the bullet- i.e. the bullet protrudes into the case further than does the crack- no problem. The other concern is, uneven neck tension will affect ignition and accuracy. It won't hurt anything but will throw accuracy out the window.

So that said... for plinking, I'd shoot it but I sure wouldn't count on hitting anything.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good people,

Could the cracked cases cause a "squib" to get stuck in the barrel? ...or, worse? Here is my train of thought:

(1.)Cracks cause improper gas seeal, and lots of energy is directed, as escaping gas, at the shooter, causing the bullet to travel only a short distance into the bore of the gun. This creates an obstruction, and (as noted) a direct hazard for the shooter's face.

(2.)The cracks cause the gunpowder to go stale. In turn, this causes incomplete ingnition, and the bullet never leaves the case mouth, or travels only a short distance into the barrel. This creates an obstruction.

(3.)The cracked cases cause a slow ignition of the gunpowder/ primer, and you wind up with slow/ eratic burning of the powder charge. After firing, you have to wait a couple of minutes for the gunpowder to burn.

Those are just a few of my thoughts. Could any of them happen?
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buckawho,

By design, the case in ammunition is the gas seal for the rear of the chamber. When the powder starts burning, the case expands to grip the chamber walls & keep the hot gasses plus the pressure/momentum they create moving forward.

Every day we gamble if only by getting out of bed. Most things in life offer small risks with the promise of great rewards. Look at the ammo you have as a gamble & ask yourself what is to be gained as opposed to what you have to loose.

You gain; a few minutes of fun
    a few dollars worth of questionable quality ammo

You could loose; an eye
    a hand
    your firearm

Plus if you are injured, lost time in healing!

I wouldn't do it, but then it's your stuff & your GAMBLE!

Jim
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clint Eatwood pretty much summed it up-

"You have to ask yourself- Do I feel lucky? Well... DO YA?"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks much.....my thoughts....since the cracks don't extend farther into the case than the bullet, I'll shoot them, and crush and discard the empty cases. Again, thanks.....BT
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BUCKAWHO
    Thanks much.....my thoughts....since the cracks don't extend farther into the case than the bullet, I'll shoot them, and crush and discard the empty cases. Again, thanks.....BT

Just be careful. If you hear something that sounds like a pop instead of a bang, check and make sure the barrel is clear, and there is not a bullet lodged in there. Firing another round in there, would at minimum, ruin the 41 magnum pistol, and your day.

Best