In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning 1955

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a .380 and have taken it down and am in the process of putting it back together.....

It is fully assembled except for the barrel bushing. What is the trick? I have pushed the spring down until my hand hurts and have still not been able to turn the bushing the quarter turn...
Any advise would be MUCH appreciated.

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sound like the interrupted threads on the barrel aren't locked into the mating threads on the frame. The slide on the left side has two locking notches. The safety has to be in the one closest to the muzzle, when the barrel is turned clockwise so that the threads on the barrel engage the mating threads on the frame. After this is done and your sure that the barrel is engaged properly with the frame, the slide is pushed forward and the safety is is locked into the rear notch in the slide. Only then is the recoil spring put on the barrel, then the bayonet lug on the retainer is turned clockwise to lock it into the slide.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe
    Prior to my post, I had reassembled the firearm as described. I also had the safety in the rear slot, not the one closest to the muzzle. The barrel is sticking out of the slide now only about a 1/4 of an inch (if that). When I try to insert the barrel bushing and give it the quarter turn, it feels like it's there, but just won't stay put. The bushing is not bent or harmed in any way.

I have had the firearm about three years and it is in perfect condition (probably 98%). I shot several guns over the weekend and thought I'd bring this one along. I ran six rounds through it and it functioned flawlessly. I have only shot it one time previously and no problems there either.

Since I shot it Monday, I figured I'd break it down and give it a thorough cleaning. I had not done this previously, just a rod through the barrel and a wipe-down. Anyway, I have had several other Brownings/Colts (John Browning designs) that have similar takedowns. 1093 Colt, 1908 Colt, Browning .25 auto. I figured this would be similar, but that last peice has turned out to be a pain.

Aaron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe,
    I finally got it. I was not getting the barrel bushing in far enough. Probably lacked inserting it about 1/32 of an inch. After using just the very tips of my thumb, and two fingers, it was pushing in enough. last night I was trying to "palm' it.........That will not work.

As always, your help is appreciated.