In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Colt Values

amtamt Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to determine the value of 2 old Colt handguns so I can hang the "for sale" sign. I have photos available and both have been authenticated by local collectors.
The first is an 1860 Army, serial # 135,***. It is nickel plated with carved ivory grips (probably done before the turn of the century). It is in very good cond showing a nice patina and minimal wear.
The second is an 1873 SSA, serial #89,***. It is also nickel plated with non original grips (appear to be genuine plastic??). The factory letter states; "45 cal, nickel finish, barrel length not listed (4.75"), shipped March 30, 1883 to John P. Moores Sons, New York".
I've tried to get local appraisals but dealers want to buy them cheap and collectors seem to think everything Colt is rare and valuable. Any help in attaining an accurate assesment of condition and value would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Please upload your pics to a photo-hosting website and post the link here. Nobody can even give you an educated guess as to the values of your revolvers without clear pictures.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    like spider said, we need pics!
    with older colts and especially SAA condition is everything.
    while both sets of grips are likely old, neither is likely original.
    a letter on the 1860 might prove me wrong, and if so, the colt is worth ALOT more. its worth the $75 for a colt factory letter.
    my guess, though, is both of them came with smooth walnut from the factory.
    tom

quote:Colt letters are $100 for the SAA and $300 for the 1860.

WOW!, i didn't know that there were different charges.
    thanks.
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    Colt letters are $100 for the SAA and $300 for the 1860.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As mentioned, we do need pictures to provide the help you are requesting. They need to be high resolution, clear, in focus, and preferably taken in sunlight.

On the Single Action it sounds like you already have a Colt Archive letter; typically on the early guns when the barrel length is not mentioned it usually means it came with the standard 7 1/2 inch barrel. If yours has a 4 3/4 inch barrel it should have a 2 line barrel address on top, but it might also be a replacement. If it is a one line address it is probably cut down.

On the 1860 Army records are available up to serial number 140,000 and a letter will cost you $300.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input so far. When I bought the 1860 (10-12 yrs ago) I was told that they had no records from this era due to fire at factory. I will take photos later today and try to figure out how/where to post them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, this is all greek to me but I think I've loaded some phots on www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/63224/cat/500
    If that doesn't work try www.hunt101.com home, then member galleries, then AMT. Let me know if that works. AMT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 1860 is not original nickel plating but those grips are nice if they're real ivory. The SAA is a blackpowder model but apears to have been replated. Also, that's a 5.5" barrel, not 4.75", but I can't tell if it's been cut.

P101000610.JPG
    P101000512.JPG
    P101000412.JPG
    P101000223.JPG
    P10100099.JPG
    P101000812.JPG
    P101000714.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do have more info on these guns after visiting a local collector.
    The 1860 did not leave the factory with nickel plating or ivory grips(yes they are real).This was likely done by a previous owner around the turn of the century. Was said to have come from the southwest, the Mexican eagle w/snake tends to confirm this. there is an "H" stampedbehind the trigger guard, cylinder scene is still clearly visable along with patent date.Likely manufactured in 1863.
    The 1873 SAA does appear to have been replated at some time as there are minor flaws under the plating in hard to reach areas and some slight wear on the barrel address (but not the finish). The Colt letter confirms that it left the factory with a nickel finish. The grips do not appear to be real ivory(the torquise is real). Plastic was an assumption but I guess they could be bone. As the screws are all in exc cond, they may have been replaced when the gun was replated. The barrel has never been cut or shortened, sight never been messed with. It still seems to function quite well, the barrel turns smoothly, without drag and the action light. I think it has lead a charmed life going from collector to collector for the last 75 years or so. Hope this helps to assess value and condition. AMT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amt
    I do have more info on these guns after visiting a local collector.
    The 1860 did not leave the factory with nickel plating or ivory grips(yes they are real).This was likely done by a previous owner around the turn of the century. Was said to have come from the southwest, the Mexican eagle w/snake tends to confirm this. there is an "H" stampedbehind the trigger guard, cylinder scene is still clearly visable along with patent date.Likely manufactured in 1863.
    The 1873 SAA does appear to have been replated at some time as there are minor flaws under the plating in hard to reach areas and some slight wear on the barrel address (but not the finish). The Colt letter confirms that it left the factory with a nickel finish. The grips do not appear to be real ivory(the torquise is real). Plastic was an assumption but I guess they could be bone. As the screws are all in exc cond, they may have been replaced when the gun was replated. The barrel has never been cut or shortened, sight never been messed with. It still seems to function quite well, the barrel turns smoothly, without drag and the action light. I think it has lead a charmed life going from collector to collector for the last 75 years or so. Hope this helps to assess value and condition. AMT

OK, it appears my observations were correct. I asked about the SAA barrel because I thought it might be an "artillery" model that was converted by the factory from a 7.5" cavalry model but I didn't see any "US" on the frame.

The 1860 was made in 1863 and the SAA was made in 1883. Although the renickling doesn't help, a lot of collectors would buy the 1860 just for the grips if they're genuine ivory.

If I was going to list them on the auction side, I would probably start them at $999 each with no reserve (real buyers HATE reserve auctions) and let the market determine their true value. A lot of Colt collectors frequent this site so you would definitely get a fair price for each of them.

I'm guessing they'll probably end up around $2K for the Army and $3K for the SAA. JMO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I should clarify my comment about the 1860 not leaving the factory with a nickel finish. I was told that the "H" stamped behind the trigger guard was an inspector's mark and that it was military issue and not civilian. It seems unlikely that (if this is true) that the military would have spec'd a nickel finish. Any input??? AMT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amt
    I should clarify my comment about the 1860 not leaving the factory with a nickel finish. I was told that the "H" stamped behind the trigger guard was an inspector's mark and that it was military issue and not civilian. It seems unlikely that (if this is true) that the military would have spec'd a nickel finish. Any input??? AMT

No, the government would not pass a nickeled revolver unless it was a special order for a General, which it isn't. It was nickeled after it left the factory. The "H" is more likely a factory inspector's stamp, not a government inspector.