In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1892 SRC - Worth repatriating?

gsimsgsims Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello Experts,

I have a fairly well used 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine, that I'm considering listing on Gunbroker or perhaps swapping. The catch is I'm in New Zealand, so taking into account the import/export hassles and shipping cost, I'd like to know if it's worth doing?

The rifle serial number is 223072, which by my reading put's it somewhere between 1903 and 1906.

The metal has a fairly even brown patina. It doesn't look to have been reblued. The serial number and other markings are quite faint tho.

The stock, particulary the butt has scratches, gouges. There are small holes in the forestock and butt where possibly a sling has been attached?

It has the saddle ring hoop, but no saddle ring.

The action seems smooth. I do note that to cock the rifle, the lever needs to be pushed forward to the end of it's travel (at which point an audible click is heard). If the lever is worked to the point in photo 5 and closed the hammer will not cock. I'm not sure if this is normal?

SDC10130.JPG

I have loaded images into a picasa web album where they are viewable in full resolution.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gcsims/Winchester1892?feat=directlink#5340335395647178546

Sorry, a couple are not sharp. I will try get better ones if anyone is interested.

Best Regards,
Graham Sims

[EDIT] - Resized picture as didn't appear to be showing?

Comments

• Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Graham,

Welcome to the forum!

Your rifle is a neat, old one. I don't know about the import/ export aspect, and I can only guess at the value.

I can say that the saddle ring hoop is often called a saddle ring "staple". If the staple is still whole, then someone likely has cut off the ring, as was often done.

I can also state that the problem with the hammer not cocking correctly can be because of a worn hammer nose, a worn underside of the breechbolt, or maybe, some dirty hammer & sear notches. A simple, thorough cleaning of the guts may whip that behavior into shape. ...or, the hammer and/ or the breechbolt surfaces can be built up to proprer dimensions. ...or, you may have to replace them.

The "clicking", at fully opening the lever, sounds like the point on the lever pushing up on the lifter. The sound is normal, but, again, you could have a gunky lifter stud, or lifter stud spring. You may need to clean out that receiver![;)] ...or, the "point", or "fork" on the lever, that pushes up on the lifter, could be worn down, and you get a late/ hard to move lifter.

I think that I would like those stocks. The "patina" is a little much for me, but, if it were mine, I might clean it up (just a bit), and use it & show it off.[;)]

I wish you the best in your quest.[:)]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Graham,

It appears to be an honest old Model 1892 SRC, but not likely to be worth the expense and effort to repatriate it back to the U.S.A.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Graham,

You did not mention the caliber. I think I can read "38 WCF" on the barrel. Is that the caliber of you rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replies Guys!

BigLoop22, yes it is a 38 WCF, well spotted! Ammo in that caliber is expensive here, so if I keep it I'll need to look at reloading. If I sell it, I'll be putting the proceeds into a new stainless, left hand, bolt action in .270, I've had enough of living in a right handed world [;)]

Any estimates on values would be appreciated. I thought I'd work through the numbers and see how it pans out. I figure I can ship it for $70-$100.

I'd also appreciate any info on the import process or traps to avoid. Exporting from NZ is straight forward, the authorities here basically just want to see a copy of the import permit.

It seems on the import side, the importer needs to be an FFL and needs an approved "ATF Form 6 Part 1" import permit? Can anyone tell if there is a cost in applying for this permit? Does the BATF take long to turn them around? Also, are there any import duties or taxes?

Best Regards,
    Graham
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This should explain the US import process & fees:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/import.php?osCsid=8a55326767e1d16b65d0bef8c36496b9

One critical problem is that imports must be stamped with an importer marking (the importer's name, city, & state), which some folks consider a mutilation that devalues a collectible firearm.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Neal. I didn't realise that. Certainly a bit of a spanner in the works.

It seems a shame the definition of an antique firearm isn't a bit more fluid than a single cut-off date. I wonder if the BATF has ever considered making the cdate more recent. I believe it was set in the late 1950's and has never changed since.

Cheers,
    Grahm