In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dried Pelts Need Softning

RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can someone tell me how to soften a dried but tanned grey fox and raccoon pelts? These pelts are cured and hard. I want them to be soft and plyable.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    look at mckinski's web site are any taxidermy supplier many products made for just that
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you need to do is stretch them in a frame and scrape off all the tissue that is still attached to the underside of the pelt. That is what is making it stiff. Some folks will wet them and scrape them wet adding more moisture as the pelt dries out.

How were they "tanned"? What method, if you can tell us. Hope this helps.

Bode
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neats foot oil should do the trick
  • Options
    SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After a thorough cleaning work in glycerine ,used to get it at rexall drugstore .Trim off a little of the skirt and try it to see if that what you want. I used to use it on snake hides when I was making belts and hatbands,worked well on snake which is real thin and delicate.The glycerine made them supple and less likely to tear or crack.
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode

What you need to do is stretch them in a frame and scrape off all the tissue that is still attached to the underside of the pelt. That is what is making it stiff. Some folks will wet them and scrape them wet adding more moisture as the pelt dries out.

How were they "tanned"? What method, if you can tell us. Hope this helps.

Bode

A man I knew tanned them about 4 years ago and I've just now got around to wanting them soft. He didn't tell me how they were tanned and has since moved away. There's no slipping and the hair seems kinda oily/greasy.