In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help!!! Need info on Springfield M67 12ga

XxNuggetsxXXxNuggetsxX Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know much about a Springfield M-67 series B? My model was made by Savage arms, and is in relatively good condition.
Just looking for background info, etc. I believe it is a Vietnam era gun, and would like to research it, just dont know where to start. Please help!!!

Comments

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tried that already. not a moron.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nugets,

I'm not sure just what you are looking for on your gun. It being a utility grade shotgun produced by Savage Arms probably post WW II & pre GCA 1968, no ser# was required in that time frame (for long guns retailing under $100). My guess is it is one made in this era (no ser#)

Savage Arms bought several companys prior to WW II (Stevens Arms being just one) and continued to produce guns under that trademark.
    Sometime in the '40s or '50s Savage Arms was considered the largest firearms manufacturer in the world. They produced guns with several different trade names plus numerous house brand guns. Again, Springfield Arms was one of many trade names Savage used in the '50s & '60s for utility guns.

In 1968 congress enacted the Gun Control Act of 1968. It required all firearms to be serial #ed plus other controls such as dealer licensing, no mailorder sales ETC. Basically the GCA of 1968 stopped the department & catalog sales of firearms.

The gun you have, altho not a custom hand made one of a kind collector piece, is a sturdy functional field gun that is probably better made than many new guns being produced today.

Your gun is old enough that it will be choked for lead shot (the norm for the day when it was built) If you want to use it with steel shot loads required in many hunts today, I suggest you see a gunsmith about installing screw in chokes suited for steel. Otherwise, it should be a good shooter for upland hunting where lead is still permitted or for slug use without modification.

If my rambling has left any specific question unanswered, repost or email me & I'll try again.

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. My gun does have a serial #, so it must have been made after the GCA. I was trying to get general knowledge about it, just to know more about what I'm shooting. Serial starts with an "A", don't know if that says anything.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nuggets,

Quoting the Savage Arms web site (from the history link at the bottom of the home page)

"Between the early 1960's and the late 1980's, numerous public & private corporations owned & sold Savage Arms, culminating in reorginization of the business & filing for bankrupcy protection in early 1988."

After the bankrupcy filing, they downsized to mainly the bolt action rifle production.

Due to the many changes of the company ownership, next to no collector interest in "store" brands & "second" brand guns (Springfield Arms bing among them) records for dating or shipping are hard to find or non existing.

Your shotgun having a ser# 'probably' means it was made after 1968. The prefix 'A' may mean A series (thou that's just my guess).

My memory of 'Springfield' Savages is not the best, but I don't think the brand survived too long after 1968 as produced by Savage.

The present Springfield Inc. is a new co. as of about 1993 & they purchased the name etc. from Springfield Armory, a completely different operation from Savage's use of the Springfield name.

Hope this helps, Jim
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The springfield 67 B is by its self as the mod.67 C,D,E is same as savage mod.30 D on up made from 1958-1970,some small parts are not the same.I needed a slide lock assy and ordered one for 30J 20 ga. and earlier for a springfield B has not come in yet.they also made a takedown version.tks hedge.[:D]