In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sako 75 vs tikka 595

laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
i'd like to know opinions and specific differences between the sako 75 and tikka 595 (no longer made). i realize sako is the parent company of tikka and they are made in similar factories in finland. what about the sako justifies the nearly double price difference? i have a tikka 695 and am 100% delighted with it, as is my friend w his 558: great triggers, slick bolts, very accurate, good handling. what does a sako 75 have that they don't?
thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That's a good question. As Sako now owns Tikka, and my 595-223 heavy varmit shoots into one hole at 100, I can't see the extra price.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually there are several differences, or should I say EXTRA's that either come with or are available on the SAKO 75. They have a bolt key lock, to keep it locked if you don't want anyone else fooling with it. They also have a safety that locks down the bolt when on safe. So you don't need to take it off safe to unload it, they have a bolt release that serves that function. I believe their barrels are the next higher grade than the Tikks...I had a 75 stainless in 7mm RUM. It would cloverleaf Remington Core Lokt Ultra's at 200 yards. The best shooting out of the box rifle I ever owned, and like a DUMB *, sold it as it seemed the 7mm RUM ammo was getting scarce.

Now on behalf of the Tikka 558's, 595's, and T-3's, they are IMHO the best value rifle going...bar none. They have triggers like NO US made rifle has...including Savage's abortion for a two stage trigger they call the Accra-Trigger. Their ergonomics are superb, and they do not feel like you are holding on to a 2x4(like the SAVAGE always has), and they all on average seem to have outstanding accuracy of 1MOA or in most cases less.

If you ever get to handle a SAKO 75 or 85, you will realize it is the Caddilac version of your Tikka, and will want to own it. Don't throw out those Tikka's though.

EDIT:
    Consider it like this:

The relationship between the Tikka and the SAKO 75/85, to be proportionate of the Remington 700 and the 40X, or a Winchester model 70 and a Supergrade...only better.

Best
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1989 Tikka was purchased by Sako and in 2000 Sako was purchased by Beretta. I can not tell you when various models appeared and disappeared. I have a few Tikka rifles, 558, 595, 695, and another that I can not remember the model number of. All were bought used and they are all really good shooters. They are about the best buy for the money.
  • Options
    dljackodljacko Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too cannot speak too highly of Tikka. Being a lefty and always owning rugers I was a little aceptical at being offered a T3 Lite stainless/syn in 300Win mag. I opened the bolt and immediately noticed that it does not bind like the Ruger stainless. The recoil pad is a recoil pad and the whole outfit is a pleasure to shoot. I've used mine on everything from blue duiker in Mozambique to wapiti in New Zealand and it performed well every time.
    The finish of the Sako seems to be a little better on the models available in Australia but where it counts there is no difference.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Tikka 595 in .308 and a Sako Vixen in 222. I like the Tikka just as much as the Sako. Both are excellent. I don't think a Sako is worth 2 times the price of a Tikka, even though I did pay almost twice as much for the Vixen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks to all.
    my experience w tikka is also superb.
    hope this helps convince my friend to buy one now!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    he did! 7mm08 for deer.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried many rifles but now I will only shoot Tikka T3's and Sakos. The difference is best described already in the upgrade between a good affordable GM car like the Chevy Beretta I once had that was excellent handling and great on gas while inexpensive and the Cadillac Catera's I drive now. The Cateras new were nearly $40,000 (I got them used) but I love the way they feel and handle. The Beretta worked great and was a far better buy but I liked the feel of the Caddy.
    Same thing for the T3 to a Sako 75/85. I prefer the Sako 75 over the T3's I have owned even though the T3's were probably more accurate. The feel and balance of the T3's are great but on the Finnlights they were perfect. I prefer the Sako 75/85 rifles over the T3's even if it comes at over twice the price.
    My question now is how do the Sako A7's compare to the T3's?
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both a 595 Whitetail Hunter in .223, and a Sako 75 in 25-06. I agree with the comments that have been made previously. One point I would add is that I have seen many Sako 75s over the past several years, some new, and some almost new, offered at $800 to $1000. This is a far cry from the MSRP at about $1400. The Tikka 595 is usually around $550 or so, and that is about what I paid for mine less than a year ago.

I would say that for the additional $300 to $400, the Sako offers you a little better stock, with more figure, a stainless magazine instead of polymer, a metal trigger guard instead of polymer, and better resale and collector value. You also get a cheekpiece on the stock, which some like, and others do not care.

The Tikka is an extraordinary value, with one of the best off the shelf triggers, and a reputation for out of the box accuracy. I have been very happy with my 595, and have shot a number of jacks, chucks, and squirrels with it in the last eight months. I shot an 11.5 lb. rockchuck at 270 yards in the wind with Fiocchi 40 grain V-Maxes a month ago, along with a number of other chucks. Of course, that is not especially long distance, but I usually consider 350 to 400 yards to be stretching it with a .223, especially if it is windy. The gun consistently shoots around 1 MOA or less, with the right factory ammo, and it seems to like the Fiocchi ammo pretty well.
  • Options
    macedonia7macedonia7 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am laogai's friend who just purchased the Tikka 595 Whitetail Hunter. I'll post comments on it once I've been able to shoot it.

Thanks for all the comments in this thread.