In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gold Cup Sights

jcwelch111jcwelch111 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Gold Cup National Match with Elliason adjustable sights. Are there any fiber optic/night sights available for this handgun. I am currently searching Brownell's but haven't found any yet. Thanks in advance for any info on where I might find some sights for this pistol.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy a new S&W with fiber optic sights; it will cost you about the same as the value of your Colt would drop if you change sights.

Neal
  • Options
    jcwelch111jcwelch111 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not going to get rid of this pistol. It isn't for sale...period. I love this pistol and the way it shoots but I find the sights hard to center in low light. Sight paint was suggested but my experiences with it have proven mediocre at best. Maybe it should be left to an artist to do that. I just want a sight picture that's easier to aquire in low light and combat situations.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know of a tritium night sight to replace the Elliason or Accro. You might want to try a tritium front sight only. Some of us find this enough for low light situations.
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Night sights loose their radioactive gas over time, like 5-7 years. Some are warrantied for 10 years. I never had a set last more than 6 years with out dimming. If you're going to keep this gun for the rest of your life not selling it ever than it's OK to make it yours. Be aware there are better sight paints other than white. Not all people or self proclaimed gun smiths are skilled enough to put sights in without messing up in some unforeseen way. I had a so called expert F*** up my front dove tail on one of my 1911s so after shooting 500 rounds the threadlocker holding the sight in broke and it shot off. I had Wilson make it right and they did. On another I wanted to change the rear sight. Because it was so tightly pressed in the smith had to reduce the inside mass buy cutting to get it out. If it's not broke I wouldn't change it, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. If you feel as strongly as you do about this gun, how would you feel if it got marred, dinged, dropped, or malformed by some one who thought they could. So what does I'm sorry do for me?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO the reason you shoot so well with this pistol is the FACTORY SIGHTS Vertical Surfaces and Plain Blades They may not look COOL or have that BLING factor but let me ask you are you really going to become a better pistol shot shooting in low light [?] Again this is just me but my #1 rule is I want to be sure of what I am shooting at. If the light is too dim to see your sights then it is to dim to shoot unless it is a life or death situation and in this case the range will most likely be VERY close and you will point the pistol in the correct direction you don't need to shoot one inch groups. for shooting in the dark go with Crimsom Trace but LEAVE THE GOLD CUP SIGHTS ALONE changing sights will cost you money when you do the job and cost you BIG money in lost value to the pistol when you ever want to sell the pistol. [:(!][V][:(][xx(]. Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replace the grip with one from Crimson Trace with a laser. Allows you to shoot in low light and can be taken off if and when you ever decide to sell.

Make sure you don't bugger the screws.