In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Meriden Double Barrel

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have info on shotguns made by meriden? This is a 12 ga in 90% + condition, blued, double barrel, with hand cut checkering on grip and forearm. Nothing fancy about it, but a very tight and nice looking double.

I recently acquired it and originally thought it was relatively new due to its appearance. The Blue Book doesn't even list them. My Standard Catalogue of Firearms has short blurb on the company. Any info on the company and or quality of its guns would be appreciated.

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meriden Fire Arms Co. was a subsidiary of Sears Roebuck, dating to the early years of the 20th Century.

The made handguns & 22 rifles as well as shotguns. Most were sold using tradenames.

To the best of my knowledge their firearms were "utility" grade, safe to use, using the ammunition available during that time frame.

Most of their stuff was meant to compete with the products put out by Iver Johnson and Crescent Arms Co., i.e. inexpensive utility guns.

Meriden's production ended during the First World War.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    Mark MilesMark Miles Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    Does anyone have info on shotguns made by meriden? This is a 12 ga in 90% + condition, blued, double barrel, with hand cut checkering on grip and forearm. Nothing fancy about it, but a very tight and nice looking double.

I recently acquired it and originally thought it was relatively new due to its appearance. The Blue Book doesn't even list them. My Standard Catalogue of Firearms has short blurb on the company. Any info on the company and or quality of its guns would be appreciated.

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"

Did your Meriden have krup steel barrells or damascus?