In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 1893 Newbie with Questions!

snappydonsnappydon Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi all! Ok...So I'm going to add the Marlins to my interest in lever guns along with my Savages.

I just acquired a Marlin 1893 Rifle. S/N D6445...In 32-40. It has a 26" full octagon barrel, Blued receiver and bolt. The barrel is marked for "For Black Powder". I'm really confused about manufacture date. I can't find anything on the "D" prefix. I have taken the rifle apart and all the parts have the D6445 number stamped on them. this includes the receiver,lever frame, buttstock, crescent butt plate

I am reading conflicting information on whether or not Smokeless loads can be fired in this.

The bore is a little frosty but actually in very nice condition. It has had a repair done to the buttstock and I would like to find an original replacement if anyone knows a source.

Thanks for helping a Newbie to Marlins!

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    PROBABLY A NEWER M-93 WITH AN OLDER BARREL. GUNPARTSCORP WAS SELLING NEW OLD STOCK BARRELS FOR THESE WITHIN THE LAST 10 YEARS.
    "It's not an M93. The rear tang is marked "Model 1893"."...........EDIT, SAME ANSWER, THE 'LETTER' SERIES SER. #'S STARTED LATE IN THE M-93 (1893) PRODUCTION.
  • Options
    snappydonsnappydon Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not an M93. The rear tang is marked "Model 1893".