In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dumb ammo question kind of

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
ok i am about to start reloading A BUNCH of .30 cal,12ga, 20ga and i looked around for a few and could not find a good answer to my question. Is there a "personal" limit to how much ammo one can legally have in there home with out braking any Fed laws?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Nope

I know people in excess of 100k and no problems.
    We wont talk about how much I have [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by fl23in
    ok so i am good if i have 500+ rounds of one or another.(mainly 12ga)

i got alot of 50bmg ammo cans that need filled

500rds is hardly anything [:D] Most people believe that 1000 rd minimum for main rifles.

Not sure how many shotgun rounds fit in a .50 can. You can fit 900 rounds of 12 ga in the 25rd boxes in a 20 mm can though.
  • Options
    edited November -1

i got alot of 50bmg ammo cans that need filled
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    No Federal laws but state and local laws are all over the place on this and there are a surprising number of localities that do in fact have limits on ammo, powder and primers stored in a residence.

Check with your local Fire Marshall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok ^ thanks will call fire marshall.

btw anyone know how many 12ga shells a 50bmg and 30cal ammo cans(full size) will hold
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i wouldn't call no one....one never has enough[;)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in

As mentioned, there is no FEDERAL law on how much ammo you can own, though your local municipality might restrict things in resident dwellings for safety reasons.

While I actually do believe that ammo hoarding can get ridiculous (I burst out laughing every time I look in my closet [:D][}:)] ), but 500 rounds is really NOTHING. When I had the chance, I used to shoot that many every week.

A $15 "milk carton" of .22s contains more than 500 rounds, and you can stick three of them in a shoebox. Bring two friends shooting, and you can go 500 rounds EASILY in under two hours, even shooting pretty slowly and carefully.

On quantities, I've never tried putting shotgun shells in a can.

As a rough estimate, Cabela's sells 12 gauge shells packed 175 to a can here:

http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammunition-federal-12ga-buckshot-175-w-ammo-1.shtml?WTz_l=Unknown;cat104567580

The exact number, I think, will depend on which can you're talking about, and how you cram them in there. Why don't you try it and tell us?

quote:i wouldn't call no one....one never has enough
    Well, you can call anonymously if you're really afraid.

My take on this is while you might not always obey the law, it can be helpful to know if you are breaking it! Particularly if its easy to do so, why NOT obey it?

In theory, you could get into a lot of trouble if there were a fire at your place, and if responding to the fire, the fire crew found out that you had a stash of ammo that was beyond the legal limit.

As to "never having enough", short of personally equipping a small army, I really do have to disagree there. Lets say, purely for the sake of argument, that I shoot 25 rounds of .308 every single weekday for the next 75 years of my life. So, in that case, if I had half a million rounds, that ought to cover me. [;)]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer: NO.

Longer answer: NO WAY !
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I shoot 10,000-20,000 rounds of Pistol ammo each year split between 22 and 45 ACP. I reload 45ACP and buy supplies in bulk by lot numbers normally a 5 year supply for each at a time if you do the math that means fairly large amount. I also hunt with every thing from 22 rifle to 375 H&H as well as Flint Lock long rifle and shotguns Keep 1000 rounds of each of 2 Ga.s of shot gun. 200 rounds of factory Rifle ammo in each caliber and enough supplies to load thousands of rifle cartridges. from 22 Hornet to 375 H&H. Of course that does not include a fairly large number of ammo cans of military for the M1 30/06 and many cans of 45ACP 230 Ball .
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know of no limit on loaded ammunition - although some repressive jurisdictions might have one.

But a lot of municipalities adopt a standardized fire code that has limits and storage container requirements on the powder you would use to load "a bunch." The guidelines are bound into the FREE load data booklets from most powder companies.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There might be local ordinances pertaining to the amount of ammo, powder, or primers you keep in your home. I got a lot of flak from my insurance guy and moved most of my reloading supplies to a different storage building. That seemed to satisfy his complaint.