In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Interresting folding trigger revolver, Brit?

ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in Ask the Experts
Good day to the forum,
Let me start by saying thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
I have come across a very interresting little revolver with a folding trigger. It is very similar (I would say probably same maker) to the pistol in GB auction 6286819. It is also double action, but the major difference being that the one my friend has is hammered while the auction gun is not. The auction gun is described as being British made and this makes sense, they both are very similar to larger versions of revolvers made in Britan at the turn of the century. There are several proofmarks, the only one I can identify is Belgian, but little other in the way of serial numbers or maker. There is a 55 stamped above the trigger. If anyone can provide some potential manufacturers, or any online sources of information on these or guns like these I would very much appreciate it. I don't think it is worth very much, but is a very neat little piece and I am curious about the dates of make, maker, estimates or any other info.
Thanks again.
Hank

Comments

• Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Sounds like 1 I repaired in Payson Az. in 1997. the 55 is 5.5
    .22 short
    7 shot maybe?If so or not You still probaly
    have a turn of the century 1900 FRENCE pocket revolver.
    I do not remember prices. Some were rare but most were common.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    There were quite a few Belguim Copies made of Popular Revolvers in the late 1800's to the time of the 1st World War...and a few after Wars end...I Photo is whats really needed here...If you can Post a Photo either directly to Me, or Post one on the Web...I'll see what My Database has to say......Best......

An aside to 'Da Tank'...You Know Arnold Gort in Payson, Arizona...?

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys,
    Thank you for your info. I have been doing a bit of research on the little gun. I thought I was fairly well versed in pistols, but have found an area that I had never really explored, that being the "pocket pistol" catagory. I knew they existed, but not the volume and interresting models. This particular one turns out to be Belgium, not Brit as I had first assumed and falls into the catagory of the "velo dog" guns (proof marks date it in the early 1890s). Velo dog apparently was a french/italian slang for the gun and it's use as a "bike gun" to chase off dogs. It is chambered in, what else, 32 velo dog. I have found a couple of sources which make this ammo and market it under the same name. It is not very common, but still made today.
    This is an interresting new catagory of guns to explore and they seem to be coming out of the woodwork as I learn more about them. I just picked up one that shoots 32 cf that is about 95%, still has case colors on the frame and is as tight as the day it was made (about 1893 or so). Small, concealable, folding trigger, these were the first real CCW guns!!
    Thanks again.
    Hank