In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Perry Shooter.....

XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
You stated "just FYI the Springfield arms of today are in no way connected to the U.S. Springfield ARMORY of years past they just USED/STOLE the name to take advanage of the good reputation...."

The U.S. Armory at Sprigfield, MA was closed by the Government in 1968. In 1974 the Springfield Armory brand name and the remaining inventory of M14 rifle parts, jigs, and other fixtures was purchased from the U.S. Gov't by Robert Reese, who formed a new company to manufacture M1A rifles. This company, now owned and operated by Reese's sons, manufactures a wide array of firearms under the Springfield Armory name.

Granted, the current Sprinfield Armory, Inc. has no connection to the former U.S. Armory at Springfield, MA, but they hardly "stole
or "just used" the name. They purchased those rights from the former owners, the U.S. Government.

BTW.....the old U.S. Armory is still there in Springfield, and is now operated as a "National Historic Site":

http://www.nps.gov/spar/

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I STAND CORRECTED on spring field used stole the name I do however believe at best the fact that it was not the same U.S. Government Armory was not an advertised fact.and many people believe they are buying a gun directly from a government arsenal with a 200 year history . I have an opinion and honor yours and everyone eles that feels different. I do like springfield and they are a supporter of BULLS-EYE shooters I just wish they had not called them self SPRINGFIELD..I can't be as kind to Rock Island and stand by my first statement.I will try to limit my opinions in the future and just stick to facts that I know . Sorry XRACER "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UGG - please don't confuse thee with me

I think I need a new handle

And I couldn't agree with Perryshooter more then I already do.

ICE
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Perry Shooter...no sweat, just thought you ought to know the real scoop.

iceracerx....hey, I used to do some ice racing (in cars) too.

After I put a Triumph Spitfire 40 feet in the air at Turn 10 at Lime Rock (unfortunately my wife was there that day) I was "encouraged" to retire from sports car racing.

However, a couple of years later, she did relent enough to allow me to do some ice racing (much, much safer).
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    X, perry, ice,

Not to hi-jack the thread but I was reading the original post and couldn't find any parts on my Springfield Mil-spec that said 'Made In Brazil'. Did they run a parallel line here in Geneseo, IL or is it just they used unmarked parts made in Brazil?