In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another question

lynx_strifelynx_strife Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Well after doing some home work and some thinking. I am now looking at revolvers now. I am currently looking at the gaucho series from taurus but i am trying to weigh the pros and cons from pistol(semi auto) or revolver.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am left handed and i am looking for some left handed guns if anyone could provide me with reputable links and suggestions im thinking about a .308, 30-30, 30-06,.270, and also a shot gun but what would you guys recommend i mainly do deer but i could venture large
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This question is just out of curiosity. I know that I can fire .38 special in my .357. The question is does it do any damage over time or affect the accuracy using .38 as opposed to .357? It would seem to me that the larger space the bullet has to traverse before entering the barrel might throw the round off a bit. As I said just curious.
    Thanks Karl
  • Options
    ScharfSchutzeScharfSchutze Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, i am not speaking from experience, However i would go for a revolver first, tipically revolver cartidges are more higher powered then semi auto pistols, but with a revolver you will have MUCH more recoil to deal with due to the fact there are no springs to absorb the recoil as in a semi auto. But if you are looking for less recoil but still good power, a .45 APC would do nicely, or maybe a 10mm?
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a .357 Magnum revolver like a Taurus 607. You can also shoot a very much lighter .38 special round in a .357 Magnum revolver, but don't try to shoot .357 Magnum rounds out of a revolver that is designed for .38 special, you could get seriously hurt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    good points damn i love this forum! How about the actions on the revolvers and jamming issues if that can happen.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Depends on you. What you're comfortable with, experienced with, or just what you like and want. I carry both off duty. A S&W 640 and a Kel-Tec p32. I'm just as good with a revolver as an auto. Other people will lean one way or the other. I'd suggest shooting both and making a decision based on that experience.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great answer Fast Cars! I PERSONALLY would go with a revolver...something that starts with a .4_. A 45 Colt, 45 ACP in half moon clips, 44 special, 454 Casull (you can fire 45 Colt, the same as with a 38 special and 357 mag). Revolver cartridges, as mentioned, are a good deal more powerful than MOST auto cartridges, and in terms of mechanics, and ergonomic issues, the revolver wins every time. You don't have to worry about limp wristing a revolver...no failures to feed...no stove pipes...just lowered magazine capacity in comparison. Revolvers CAN feeze up, but generally that is a housekeeping issue more than a design flaw.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lynx, if you have a local indoor shooting range you may have access to one of the best places to go and try several of each for not all that much money. Most indoor shooting ranges that I've gone to have rental handguns of some of the most basic and popular models out there. Personally in revolvers I perfer S&W, but I have shot several different models of the Taurus and they were all very reasonable in handling and function. Mostly what you need to figure out is what style of handgun grip feels/shoots best in your hand/grip. Not all hands grip pistols the same way and there a folks who have intense perferences between say a Luger style grip vs a Colt 1911 auto. The first time I picked up a Glock 17 at a range I shot so many bulls eyes that I had to have one, though it ended up being a Glock 22 in the end. So set up and try as many as you can and you should get an idea pretty quick as to just what you like and dislike. Good luck...
  • Options
    Sigdriver1Sigdriver1 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fastest way to reload a revolver ?? Another Revolver !! You won't have that problem with a semi.quote:Originally posted by lynx_strife
    Well after doing some home work and some thinking. I am now looking at revolvers now. I am currently looking at the gaucho series from taurus but i am trying to weigh the pros and cons from pistol(semi auto) or revolver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have seen a few indoor shooting ranges that i will have to hit up. I like how the revolvers look mostly the gacho or what not from taurus. But I also love how the 24/7 pro look. I am torn.... and getting both is not a option for me...the miss's....grrr after the handgun its shotgun time! but i got that one picked out so no drama there. Mossberg 500 :D
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I have to wonder about the choice of a single-action revolver, and the comment about looks. Is this going to basically be a plaything (nuthin wrong with that!) or are you considering it for defensive use?

After running a few laps in the first-defensive-handgun game, early on I came back to what generations of gun folk have been telling neophytes for ages: .38 DA revolver. It's simple, easy to check/load/unload, you can practice with wadcutters that barely recoil more than a .22, and the full-house loads are plenty good enough for anti-personnel use. You can get a used one from a big name maker fairly cheap, get it checked out if you didn't buy it from a reputable shop, and have all the confidence in the world that it'll go bang when you need it too.

I used to tell people to get a .357 and work their way up to magnum loads, but gave that up when I realized that most people that were asking for advice weren't going to be going to the range even once a month anyway. Which is why I gave up recommending autos with the caveat that they needed to keep up their practice with the manual of arms.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your question needs another answer before it can be properly answered. That is, what do you intend to do with this revolver/pistol? If you are looking for a shooting/plinking handgun, then which one feels best to your hand(balance, grip angle, etc.). On the qestion of reliability, for plinking/shooting, most pistols or revolvers will do fine out of the box. Most but not all stoppage issues come from lack of maintainence, damage(bent feed lip on clip, etc.), or other similiar causes. Bent clips are not an issue with revolvers, but lack of cleaning can cause problems with either pistol or revolver. Likewise, improper loaded ammo can cause issues in either one, be it factory or handloads. The revolver does seem to have fewer things that can go wrong but if just plinking or shooting is the game, that is really not a very big problem. For defense, I lean heavily toward the revolver simply because it does have fewer things to go wrong and for defense you simple cannot afford for things to go south at the wrong time. I even like non-adjustable sights like the recent S&W 22-4 best for a defensive revolver or pistol. A pistol can make a fine defense choice but only if you are willing to go the extra mile to have it de-horned and everything polished and slicked to the point of 100% reliability and smoothness. Even with a revolver, it pays to have a little smoothing and de-horning done, although it is not as critical as with a pistol. As for speed, it is greatly over-rated except in the games people play with pistols/revolvers(IDPA, IPSC, etc.). I shot competition for several years ago back in the day and did it mostly because I wanted to be able to draw and shoot fast. One of the first lessons I learned was that you could not draw and miss fast enough to win. Being on target with every shot was what won, even if it was just a tad slower. Wyatt Earp made his reputation and stayed alive to old age by not necessarily being faster than his enemies but putting his bullets where they belonged. You match Latham, Barnhardt, Miculek, Plaxaco or any of the other shooters against one another in a straight face off and they will both die. The difference in speed is so small and the accuracy of these guys so good that there is simply too small of a window of time for either to live. Both would hit and both would die. The cowboy movies were good entertainment but facts were few and far between. Most of the shooting in the old days were from ambush or from planned set-ups. What it really comes down to preparation before the event. In a defensive situation things happen too fast for you to think your way through the problem. If you have not done some prior preparatory thinking and practiced with the weapon you choose for self-defense--you are up the creek big time and luck comes into play. Luck is your enemy when your life is on the line. You'd better hope the other guy is worse prepared than you and more importantly, a much more lousy shot than you. Whoever gets the first solid hit will win(live).