In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Semi-autos

XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I own a S&W revolver and love it. I am considering a S&W Sigma, but have heard some negative things about their semi-auto line of hadguns. Do any of you guys own one? What's your opinion? Good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad...Get a Glock
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Avoid at all costs. Before our dept. settled on Glocks we tested several different models. The sigma was the only one that failed in every category except price. But you do get what you pay for. By the way the Glock was the only one that passed every category.
  • Options
    XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well that makes me feel real good about my new Glock that is coming in today.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, you don't know how lucky you are. sigma blows
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Heard many bad things about the sigma series
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sigma has to be an acronym for something derogatory! Maybe something along the lines of Simply Inept Gun, Made Asymetrically(sic). Either way, they have not made a decent semi since the 35 cal!
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to say this but in my opinion you guys are all wet.If you want to find out how wet you are go to http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/520103904 [:)]
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [B)] I'll agree with ATF on this one .
    I have sigmas in 9mm and 40 S&W , and although they
    lack the hype ( and price [;)] ) of some of the 5,6,or even $7 hundred dollar models , they shoot just fine . I have never had
    a problem with either pistols jamming , For someone looking for
    a " first gun " IMHO you can't beat em ! .[8)]

I got mine years ago , aquired a few more different model pistols
    and revolvers , but still like to take those Sigmas out now and then.
    They work just fine .
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I an not a big fan of the Sigma series. I believe the more recent models are an improvement over the eariler ones. If you want a decent S&W Semi-Auto, check out all the police trade ins that are out there.

I currently own 4 different S&W Semi-Autos, three in 9mm and one in .45 and have been pleased with the reliability and accuracy of all of them.
  • Options
    APhoolAPhool Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my newly purchased SW9VE and have already fired 400+ rounds and no problems. My 5906 ( purchased new in 1989 ) has had 3000+ rounds fired and no problems.

I'll stick with S&W.

Most gun stores that have indoor firing ranges will allow you to use selected store firearms for a small fee. That's a nice way of evaluating what you are interested in.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. , I may catch some flack for this one , but....
    Nothing wrong with the S&W Sigma !!!! they started out under a cloud and some folks say they suck with No Reason or Proof ...I own several,have shot a bunch (w-No Problems),and have sold a bunch of these ...They are a great buy , one of our dist. has these in used 'exc.' cond. @ $249.95 each......I would be carrying one but my dept. requires a Glock (I like them too).....
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

P.S. If the S&W Sigmas are so bad , Why did THP issue them ????????