In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock Safes

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
How many does a Glock have and how safe are Glocks?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glocks are safe; they do not have a safety. If you don't want the gun to shoot do not touch the trigger.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    bpost pretty much said it all. The safety if you want to call it that is actually on the trigger. So basically no safety at all. Keeping your finger indexed until ready to fire is the best safety of all anyway.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know......you still have to exercise more care than with a DA/SA or DA-only auto. I saw one civilian experience an AD when he attempted to put a loaded Glock in the factory hard case, & 1 LEO in our local PD who shot himself in the foot while holstering his Glock.

If they are so safe, why did Glock go back to the drawing board & design the "New York" trigger?

Neal
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Never seen or heard of one going off when the trigger wasn't depressed.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a firing pin, blocking safety involving a spring loaded plunger which is trigger actuated. This safety needs to come out periodically for inspection for burrs and freedom of motion.
    There was a factory bulletin on this a while back and a freebe kit.
    Mine was an early one and qualified for the kit.
    The safety plunger was nicked up pretty good but probably still operational.
    If you haven't ever looked at yours, I would give this feature an inspection and a squirt of oil.
  • Options
    Sigdriver1Sigdriver1 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's only 1 safety on Glocks & that is your trigger finger ! Train & train often..quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39
    How many does a Glock have and how safe are Glocks?
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 safeties on the Glock.

PJ
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    First off Glock boxes are made to hold the gun with the trigger discharged. That is the reason there is a big yellow sticker that says that right where the post goes through the trigger guard. I find my Glocks to be as safe as any other firearm. I use the 3.5 Lb trigger in mine and carry daily. As for the LEO that shot himself Glock is not the only gun that has done that.
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: If they are so safe, why did Glock go back to the drawing board & design the "New York" trigger?

Not trying to be a schmaht aleck here, but my guess is the lawyers [xx(]

Back to your question 7.62, my two cents is this: Every gun, no matter what, comes with two safeties. Your finger and your brain. As long as those two safeties are in proper order, you're all set. As for the lack of a manual safety on the glock, if that bothers you, get a PX4 Storm, a 1911, or other handgun that features a manual safety. If you're comfortable with the idea of just the glock's trigger and passive safeties, then the glock is an excellent pistol as well. Hope this helps without being too confusing - I haven't slept in over 35 hours [:p]
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NY trigger was a requirement of the NYPD< who in their wisdom, wanted to duplicate the revolver pressure
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you go rent or borrow one and decide for yourself if it is a firearm you are comfortable with and feel you can handle safely.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. , Yes Three (3) safetys ....
    accordingly to what I was taught @ the Glock Armory school :
    Trigger Safety
    Firing Pin Safety
    Drop Safety
    and of course YOU (remember all the Gun safety Rules)...
    All Guns are Always Loaded ...
    Keep Your Finger Off the Trigger (until ready to fire)...
    Never Point any Gun @ Anything You Do Not want to Shoot ...
    Be Sure of You Target ...
    I 'carry' and use a Glock (model 23 40 cal.) on a daily basis ....
    No Problems , No worries ......
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty much all semi autos that were originally produced since 1990, and are still produced to this day, either feature a firing pin block or inertia based firing pin.

A block does exactly what the name implies - it acts as a shield that prevents the firing pin from moving forward towards a cartridge primer... unless the block is released by trigger pull, or broken. It is rare for firing pin blocks to break, but it does occasionally happen. This way, if you drop a gun (unless you drop it from a tall building); there's a minimal chance of it going off.

I'm not entirely sure about an inertia based firing pin, but I believe they generally aren't considered as safe. I think this means the firing pin is simply held in place by a spring like device - so it isn't loose and doesn't slide back and forth touching the primer. Without this, if you shook a gun up and down, the pin would go in and out of the hole in the breech face, touching the primer... but probably not with enough force to set it off.

The catch is usually this... If a hammer or striker falls against the back of an inertia based firing pin, the gun will likely discharge; even if the trigger wasn't pulled. With a firing pin block, if for some reason the hammer or striker fell against the back of the pin without the trigger being pulled, the force of the hammer blow would have to be enough to break the block, and still retain enough force to set the primer off. This is not quite as likely.

Glocks have a firing pin block of some sort. They also have this little thing in the center of the trigger - so if something touches only the edge of the trigger, it supposedly won't go back. Their "3rd" safety is just a gimmick Glock advertises - probably something like "the gun won't fire if out of battery" That basically means if you pull the trigger, the gun won't fire if the slide isn't fully closed.

My advice is... Glocks suck, they are a band wagon brand people buy because cops use them and supposedly "everyone thinks they're cool" Including gangsters. Just don't buy one. I won't believe the reliability test they advertise until I see them in person. Plus, they have been known to occasionally discharge when racking the slide with a cartridge in the chamber. This isn't exactly what I would call safe.