In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Percussion Pistol ID? & Value?

drcelldrcell Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I recently obtained this old percussion type pistol. It has a center hammer and is marked "84" and has another marking to the right of the "84" that may be a "2" or a vertical "C" followed by a second letter. It looks like a "2" to me that has the center part of the 2 missing. This is a very small gun measuring only 5 1/2" long. The hammer and trigger seem to function very well. The hammer will rest 1/2 way back like a safe position and also will stop beyond the firing position. In both of these positions, the trigger will not fire the gun. Any help as to age, maker, and estimated value will be appreciated. Thanks. Here are some photos.

pis.jpg
pis2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Do a GB search for Percussion Box Lock pistols. These were made in the 1800's. I'm not real familiar with them, so I can't ID yours. Here's a pic of my English made one. I was told the barrel unscrews to load the ball, then screws back on so the ball won't come out while in your "boot".

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

Ben
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With out manufacturers markings or proofmarks it will be difficult to positively identify, ( this has a substantial effect on value ). It appears to be a standard pattern, box lock, bag grip, percussion pistol, ( it's not clear in the photos if the barrel is removeable? ). They were very commonly made during the 1840's - 1860's time frame. "842" = 1842 MIGHT be the date of manufacture?
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    this appears to be an 'ethan allen' style handgun, and a quick scan of the flaydermans guide shows 'bacon & co.' also made a similar styled model. i doubt the number on the side is a date most likely a serial number (batch number).
    bill