In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Price Check - Underwood M1 Paratrooper Carbine

dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Folding stock M1 - pricing?

Other info that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on the detailed description & photos you provided
    I haven't a clue.

As for info that you should be aware of
    only Inland made M1A1 carbines; Underwood never did.

You may be looking at a worn out Korean Army lend-lease carbine in a commercial stock worth $300
    or, it could be an all-correct US arsenal rebuild in excellent condition worth $2,000. I don't know; I can't see from here.

Obviously, the closer the asking price is to the top of the range, the more important it is that you consult an expert before putting down your money.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks.

Sorry...that is all the info I have at the moment.

But, I KNEW the "ask the experts" forum would happily give some quality info.
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the paratrooper carbines were made by Inland. Its possible one was rebuilt at a later date using an Underwood action, but I'd want some proof, before I paid a premium for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any info on the web dedicated to the M1's?

Will be looking at this rifle on Saturday...and need all of the info I can gather.

Thanks!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the kind of information you need. And, you don't have enough time to buy & read books.

This is a specialized area, & the prices of legitimate carbines is so high that most of those I see offered for sale are either altered or outright fakes. I mean, if the seller is a 90-year-old vet who stole it from the Army when he was discharged in 1945, & all he wants for it is $500, well, it's probably worth taking a chance.

Otherwise, take your screwdriver & your digital camera; field strip the rifle & take lots of well-lighted close-ups. Then, log on to the M1 Carbine forum at www.jouster.com , & the guys will let you know what it is. If the seller says, "I need $2,000, & I need it right now.", you'd better walk away.

Neal
  • Options
    1825michaeli1825michaeli Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one....About $2500.00 With orig. GI WWII stock and USMC cover[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nmyers-thanks.

Will look at the rifle this weekend.