In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.257 Roberts

Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a .257 roberts and have not shot it much at all. i am know interested in using it for antelope hunting and was talkin to someone which they said i should make it an ackley improved? info on this please? Thanks
it is a ruger if that helps?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Over at another forum there is a strong following for this particular cartridge.
    In your opininions using FACTORY ammo only would this rifle in said chambering be better for deer hunting applications than the .243 or the 6mm and if so why or why not.
    Having killed a number of deer and hogs with the 243 and 6mm and knowing these rounds strengths and weaknesses in regards to deer hunting I was curious about the potency of the .257 VS the other two.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do any of you guys hunt with the .257 Roberts,I never hear anything about it.And was just looking around at local sporting goods Depts. and I never find ammo for it not that I need any.I just hate to see the old gun fade away.I believe its totally underestimated,I dont want to take it on an African Safari or nothing,but for Whitetail sized game its always worked for me.

Rugster
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .257 Roberts will take mule deer out to about 250 yards. My favorite caliber and I carry it on most deer hunts. Very mild recoil is my primary reason, but I also prefer it to .243 for most hunting except pronghorn.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 257 Roberts, or as people who are fond of it call it, the "257 Bob" & just "Bob" is a good round that should be more popular than it is. It is the same case as the 6mm Remington (both based on the 7x57 Mauser necked down) with a little larger bore.
    With handloading in a strong action it can be loaded to near 25.06 performance, but the factory loads have always been somewhat anemic in deference to the large number of old low pressure model 93 and 95 Mauser actions, etc. that were rebarreled and chambered in it. I believe there is some "257 +P" type ammo available these days from some of the factories for use in strong modern actions.
    Keep in mind that it is a very old cartridge design and things were different back then. There weren't near the selection of powders availible back then, and few people handloaded much. The 6mm and 243 came along much later and were always loaded for the higher pressure actions, whereas the 257 wasn't really given a fair chance to reach it's potential.
    I have a 257 built on a Remington 700 action that can be loaded up to it's potential safely and it's every bit as good as the 243 or 6mm and in some ways maybe better for hunting applications due to the selection of heavier bullets if you want them.
    To answer whether it's better or not for deer hunting with FACTORY AMMO ONLY would largely depend on what type hunting you are going to be doing, and what size game you are hunting.
    If it's closer range hunting in wooded areas, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference between the three ( and I'm sure the deer would never know ), trajectory wise or otherwise, even with the low pressure factory ammo, and a heavier bullet going a little slower at closer ranges isn't really a disadvantage for that type of hunting.
    If you can shoot the higher pressure factory ammo ( don't know what kind of gun you have or are considering ) the advantage of the smaller rounds gets a little smaller.
    If shooting at long range, the 243 & 6mm will shoot a little flatter, but neither really hits that hard past around 300-350yds or so. The 257 Roberts potency vs the other two would depend largely on the velocity of the load and the bullet weight used. A 120gr bullet going around the same velocity as a 95gr or 100gr out of the 243/6mm will hit a little harder, but there really isn't a large advantage/disadvantage either way. With 100gr in both it's pretty much a wash, with the .243 bullets having a better sectional density than the .257 bullets which in theory should penetrate a little better on game -- In the real world I never noticed the difference on game.
    The real advantage the 243 has is in the large selection of different types of ammo available ( bullet types & weights ). You can find it anywhere and it can be had for everything from small varmits to large game stuff in premium ammo lines. If you don't handload, there is not alot to choose from in the 6mm Rem. and even less in the 257 Roberts, so if your gun doesn't like what you can find you may have to live with poor accuracy, etc. -- With the 243 the selections go on forever. That, coupled with the fact that they are easy to shoot makes them very popular.
    They are all good cartridges, but if I had to stay with FACTORY AMMO ONLY as you stated and choose from these three, I'd go with the 243 Win.-- Just alot better selection out there. Your life will be easier for it.
    PS = If I really wanted a 25 caliber, and had to choose from FACTORY AMMO, I'd just get a 25.06 for the same reasons. Another plus for the 243 & 25.06 is that if you ever want to sell them lots of people want them. Most people ( except handloading gun cranks ) don't want a 6mm Rem. or a 257 Roberts -- Just my .02 cents.
    Good Luck whatever you decide.................[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good reply Temblor.
    I dont own a .257,but i do own both a .243 and 6mm.
    Between the two i like the 6mm a tad better but ammo is as you said limited and i guess it's not much different for the .257.
    Still i was intrigued by the way some wax on about this round.[:)]
    Sometimes i get real aggravted when i try to find Winchester Power Points for my 6mm and all i keep coming across is Rem corelocks that dont shoot quite as good in my 600 Remington as the Winchesters do.
    So some times for all the reasons of ammo availability i guess i want part with my 243 for the sake of the 257 which it seems i never see the ammo available in abundance.
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Temblor made a very informative and comprehensive reply.
    Ive had a lot of experience with the Roberts over the last 25 years.
    To reach its potential takes a custom chambered (long throated)barrel and hand loading. With worked up loads and the throating done so that the heavier bullets can be seated on out to make room for the powder and relieve pressure . When this is done ,you can about duplicate the 25/06 and it takes you way past the 6mm family.
    Unless you want to go into it on this basis ,stay with your 6mm "s as the factory ammo performance between the two is very minor.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    texas hunter,

We are talking about my first favorite cartridge here. So, if you want to know if it has a lot of advantages over the 6mm's I can name two. First it can go up to 120 gr. bullets with a normal 1-10" twist. Second, You can get just a smidge more velocity out of it the whole range of bullets than you can in the 6mm's. The advantage the .243 specifically has is it fits better into a shorter action and (some will argue this) is it's shorter fatter case(at the shoulder) with only 2 grs. less volume allows it to burn slower powder more efficiently thus getting more power, especially from a shorter barrel.

To specifically answer your question I will say yes it can be better WITH FACTORY AMMO because Hornady makes their "Light Magnum" using a 117 gr. bullet pushed to 2940. I chrono'd these rounds through my short barrelled(20") ultra lite Ruger and got 2840. This would be a consistent drop in velocity compared to a 24" barrel. I feel that you need to have a full length barrel for the .257 to have any advantages.

Something I have noted when shooting deer with both a .243 and a .257 is that while each time the first shot is a mortal shot I have noted the .257 knocks the animal over. I've never had to track an animal with the .243 or the .257. Just that I feel that may be the smallest difference in diameter transfers enough energy to knock a deer down. to my knowledge there is not scientific study done on that just an observation of my own.

Something I'd really like to see come back is .257's loaded with 87 gr. bullets again. What the hot-rod that it replaced (250-3000) could just top 3000 with the Roberts could push to 3300! That's about what a magnum gains over std. cases. With a whole lot more kick. That is an excellent varmint bullet and it's a good deer round. Everybody I know with one out west shoots that for something. We mostly used 41 gr. of 4895 for that load...before there was +P brass.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW! Didn't know there taht many other guys aroound here so enamoured of the Roberts as I am! Just a wonderful little round, and efficient waaaaaay beyond the date of it's inception would indicate. I know a lot of guys who use the Roberts for deer here around Northern Il. and Wisconsin, and all are just as turned on by it's performance as we are. I would say that in reference to the limited performance of factory rounds, you are likely correct, as most I know hand load for it. I have always been fond of the big bullet moving a little more slowly theory. With the correct twist, you can go up on bullet weight a ways and outperform the 243 at almost any stage. Almost as fast as a 25-06, and uses a heck of a lot less powder, speaking generally.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just had a 257 Roberts built and intend to use it on deer this fall. I've used the 2506 with 100/115 grain bullets with great success. I just wanted a little less noise and bump. The 257 115/120 grain bullet is quite a bit better than the 100 grain 243 that I've also had a lot of experience with. I laid in a supply of the Hornady LM 117's and hope they shoot well in my 21" barrel.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1952 issue model 70 does quite well with the 257 Roberts. Sportin period glass, can still hit what we aim at, even though I have a few months on her. Enjoy the 6mm too, but never have been impressed with the .243. 257 Rob is a nice round, enjoy it as it will do what ya want when ya need it to.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lusted after a 257 Bob for years, Now that I have one I can't believe I waited this long. Last deer season 1 shot 1 deer. Mild recoil is also a plus after years of 30-06. If you're mainly a white tail hunter I can't think of a better cartrige
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Might pick one of these up some day.
  • Options
    cinders dadcinders dad Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although all the replies have been great, one thing not mentioned is buy a 257, have it reamed to an ackley and out perform the 25-06 wuth a 1/3 less powder and recoil. This is best accompliesed in a 77 or other long action that allows the bullet to be seated not as deep and allows complete use of the case capacity. I had one for years but traded it for an old marlin ofwhich I now have 30 or so. i do have a 257 in a win feather weight and have taken elk and deer with it.