In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hunting questions

ChumlleyChumlley Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I'm not new to firearms, I've been doing all types of target shooting since I was 10. I'm thinking on going hunting with friends/relatives. I believe they just go after deer. Since I have never hunted medium/large game, I am curious what size caliber I should use. I have no rifles that my companions use (30-06, .270, etc...) All I have as far as rifles are concerned are a Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine, a Re-built WWII Lee-Enfield .303 (these were from my dads collection) and a AR-15 Sporter Lightweight .223. I just shoot for target practice at an outdoor range with these.
Will the .44 or .303 work good for deer? They are both accurate as can be with iron sights, no scopes as of yet. If one or more of these rifles are good to use, what other type game can they take down.
Or should I just purchase a new rifle in 30-06, .270 or diff./more powerful caliber? I really do not want to break the bank for a expensive rifle, stick to a Remington, Winchester or such, since I will also need a good scope.
Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 44 will work very good for shots under 125 yards and the 303 will work good for as far as you can shoot, just dont use Full Metal Jacket ammo, use soft points.
    But if you really want to buy a new gun get a 308 in savage
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't go to the trouble to scope up the .303, though it is a good deer rifle.
    The .44 mag is a good deer rifle, no doubt it is already drilled and tapped. It is also good for wild hogs.
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just go out and buy a reliable .308 and call it a day.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeez guys here is a fellow looking to us to give him the word so he can tell his wife, "the experts say my rifles won't be good, so I am going to have to get a new one." and what do you say? "Yours will be fine." Talk about letting a guy down! We are going to remember you two next time you are looking for support on getting that new firearm...

I say get the new rifle, yeah yours will work, but the enfield is not a hunting rifle, and the .44 mag is a handgun plinker cartridge, so you really need a new .270 or .30-06.

See how easy that was guys?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask your friends/realatives what kind of terrain you will be hunting in. If they say the hunting will be in close cover with shots rarely over 100yds that 44 carbine will be just fine. If the ranges will be out to 250yds or more then you need to get to a range and see just how far you are proficient with that 303. Personally I don't like using iron sight at more then 150yds. So if the ranges are farther then you are comfortable with then a scoped hunting rifle should be in your near future. The question then becomes are you the type to only have one all aroung hunting rifle or will you be adding to your battery as you go along? If you are a one rifle type then get a .308win or 30-06 as these are the kings of American general purpose hunting and they can do it all. If you will be developing a battery of rifles over the next few years then you need to take into accout what you will be hunting the soonest and what you might be hunting in the near future. From there decide what calibers would make the most sense to your needs. Good luck with whichever you decide....
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Easier ... .30-06![:D]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    Easier ... .30-06![:D]

Better yet a 280.[;)]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Your rifles suck for hunting and you should get all new ones.

Jeff
    who only mentions this because of He-Dog's suggestion
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chumlley,

We were just talking about the .257 Roberts on another post as a great deer rifle. I know that caliber has a real shadow following. More people would like it if it had more variety of loads. Low recoil, excellent ballistics. You can use bullets up to 120 grs. or as low as 75 grs.(if you can find them loaded that way).

If not wanting to break the bank you could get one in a Ruger Standard MkII. I recommend the longer barrel of the standard vs. the ultralight or compact as it gives the velocity the .257 is capable of. Otherwise if you are looking for generic go with a .308, 30-06, .243, 25-06, 270 etc. If you want good looking go with a CZ-550, Rem 700 CDL, Savage 14/114 or Winchester classic(yes, you can still get them...and the prices came back down). Otherwise look for a synthetic stock, blued or stainless barrel. Stainless will cost more but look around.

Most importantly talk to your friends and see where they are going, and what they use. They may be magnum shooters, but that doesn't mean you have to go that route. Consider that your .303 is about the same recoil as a .308. All the smaller calibers I've noted will be less kick. A 30-06 is a slight step up from the .308 for recoil and any Magnum is a large step. So, consider what is necessary and what you are comfortable with. -good luck and p.s. I think you need a better rifle to hunt with than what you have.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    This is weird... I was gonna post the exact same words 762x39 said, but the boss called and I had to run off at work....
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1