In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SIG vs Springfield -help please

pitdan104pitdan104 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Ok i am having a problem, i can't decide between a sig p229 40 or a springfield xd-4in service 40 . i have heard great things about both of them from magizine reviews and price is the last thing i want to base my decision on Can anyone help

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you go and rent them both at an indoor range an try em for yourself?

I shot the XD45acp recently and have to say I was impressed!!
    Trigger was excellent and I was dead on with it.

I had a Sig 220. Didn't see what all the whoopla was about. Trigger was springy, nothing to rave about.

Now the Sig Sports are something else.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I have two XD's - a 9mm and a .45acp and wouldn't trade them for anything. However, my XD's fit me perfectly but may not fit your needs. You have to choose what's right for YOU. If you asked what kind of truck to buy, Ford, Chevy or Dodge, you're going to get replies from happy owners of each because their truck is right for THEM. Only YOU can decide what's right for you - comfort, grip, mag capacity, available options, purpose (target shooting, home defense, CCW, etc.) Either gun is an excellent choice. Try them both out as drobs suggested and you'll know which one to buy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, i have been doing allot of research i have shot the xd 4 in servce and had a great time very comfortable for me the reason i ask is reliabillity? is the xd reliable ?
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would go sig any day over the xd, they may be fine at a fixed position on a range one slow shot at a time, but not in competition where you are shooting it like you would in a defense situation, the sig will out preform it every time, i have seen many malfunctions with the xd, i have also seen many people put them up for sale due to consistent malfunctions
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll take a SIG over just about any production gun going. Springfield can't hold a candle to the SIG,..they are designed to fit your hands and their tolerances are very strict. I shot the best group I ever had with a SIG,..and it was the first SIG I ever shot.

If you want a 1911 design .45,....buy a Kimber or a Baer.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never had a malfunction with my XD's and I put everything and anything through them. I would stake my life on either of them - and I do.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Sigdriver1Sigdriver1 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both in 40 cal & have shot both extensively. With no disrespect to anyone, I think you should stay with the best & buy a Sig. While I still have a XD in my collection, I keep it primarily for friends & family members when they want to go shooting.

XD makes a better "first handgun" than a Sig, in my opinion; it's simpler to learn; there's no decocker, trigger pull is consistant, gun is ligher, grip circumference is smaller & about $250 cheaper. Frankly, I even like its looks better than the Sig.

While Sig P229 cost more but you get what you pay for !! it's a cop/duty gun built for heavy duty use. It's also more accurate, more reliable & well tested!! Homeland Security & FBI has done the test for us already & has awarded Sig Sauer their contract. My P229 digest all kinds of +P ammo & has never misfeed so far while I'd to polish the feed ramp on my XD before it could digest some reloads.

Sig P229 is also available in DAK trigger which has a consistant 6.5 lb of pull, in case you like the trigger on XD better. FYI: some older Sigs do have crappy trigger pull, newer Sigs are much improved.

But I have to give the credit to XD on better ergonomics! XD grip circumference is smaller & shaped better than a Sig P229 in my opinion.

I abused the day light out of my first XD-40 back in early 2004 & here's what happened in 2005 after I fired 20,000+ rounds thru it.

(1) The striker spring & guide had to be replaced after the gun wouldn't cock anymore. The striker is all plastic & it "swelled" afer 20k rounds & it won't cycle anymore. (2) Front sight cracked (3) Finish on XD doesn't cling to metal well at all, I managed to wear the edges down to bear metal while none of my other guns did that (Sigs, HKs, CZs, Para, Glocks, Berettas) (4) Needless to say, I traded it in & lost a big chunk of change.

My Sig P229 ? not much to talk about. It just shoots & shoots like a Glock & does it very accurately.

Shooting range is a good place to acquire reliability records. Range owners(not employees) who spends money on maintaing his rental guns will tell you that small parts just don't break on Sigs. Why not consider buying both! Just shoot the one you like best & keep the other as back-up..

quote:Originally posted by pitdan104
    Ok i am having a problem, i can't decide between a sig p229 40 or a springfield xd-4in service 40 . i have heard great things about both of them from magizine reviews and price is the last thing i want to base my decision on Can anyone help
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Sig it has never failed me. My 2 cents [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys i am grateful, sigdriver - my back up is a classic fav 1911. i like the grip of the xd and the sighting but i like the feel of the sig. safety systems is a big concern for me i am going through post so i can practice as a swat team medic, the xd really didn't have a safety in my mind other then the trigger pull any feelings on that ?