In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W model 46???

mrdropclothmrdropcloth Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
I gun collector told me he has an very accurate .22 1911 style target semi-auto model 46. I didn't remember such a unit,but showed my respect for his age and held my peace. How ever after doing multiple searches on this site ,I can't find the weapon . I thought, maybe he means a Ace ....remember them? Colt ..not Smith,that has to be it. Has anyone here heard of a Model 46 in .22 cal.? Thanks much. Steve

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's telling you the truth. It was the economy version of the Model 41. Few were made. If the pistol is factory original, very good or better condition, with the short barrel. It would be a big buck collectors item.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello as rufe snow stated Matt blue finish with plastic grips standard For some weird reason They do seem to be very collectable I guess because small number were ever sold. major parts slide frame barrel will not interchange with a model 41 but many small parts will. I saw a mint box for one bring $500.00 plus on another site!!!!!
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Info to support the other posts:

" S&W had a Model 46, one with a 7", another with a 5" barrel. The Model 46, a slightly dressed down Model 41, came along in 1959 for the U.S. Air Force. But, just like the Yugo, its lower retail price failed to impress the buying public."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_160_26/ai_92585774
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Model 46 in the early '60's. I loved it, it shot as well as my Model 41. Sorry I sold it. Paid $85 at a Rod and Gun Club in Germany.