In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Riflescop Mounts DD or Standard

muchow0123muchow0123 Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Are the Duel Dovetail scope mounts better that the standard mounts with the windage screw in the back. I will be shooting a 223 so should I opt for the DD or the standard mounts. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a huge fan of DD with Burris signiture rings {the one with the inserts} next best setup to the heavy duty Badger ord, Mk4 stuff in IMO.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    muchow0123,

I am more of a fan of the steel Weaver style with Burris Signature rings. It's just more solid to me. Even though the standard Leupold style(front dovetail, rear windage) allows more room for mechanical adjustment so you can leave your scople settings as close to center as possible and zero your scope with external settings.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    DD's on a big caliber is a better application than the standard rings with the windage adjustments, but on your .223 they would work just fine.
    I like the weaver style base and Burris Signature rings better, cause I can put more than two rings on them. I might not need em, but I do like em.
    2u6fgph.jpg
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need a DD setup on a 223 -- just a matter of if you want them or not. A 223 doesn't have enough recoil to really warrant them.
    I have some DD setups on some guns but they are heavy recoiling guns chambered in large cartridges.
    Just keep in mind if you go with the DD you will lose the windage adjustment of the standard turn in ring setup on the rear base.
    You can use the Burris Signature rings with the polymer inserts for adjustments if needed. The inserts are availible for offset in any direction.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys, I guss the standard will work fine. I do however have a set of Rifleman Weaver bases, would it be better to go with the Burris Sig. rings in Weaver style instead of the standard rings?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ever combo holds the scope on and true is what is best. Light recoiling rifles, like the .223, are much more forgiving then heavy magnums. You don't say what sort of .223 you are mounting the scope on so we can't really get specific. An AR15 will be much different then a light bolt action like a Rem model 7, as to a heavy barreled varmint style rifle. As your range and precision requirements go up so does the type and quality of the scope/rings/bases that you need. If you already have a set of bases go ahead and give them a try, if they work well enough for you then there you are. The height of the rings may well be more importants then the bases as the ring height is directly involved with your head/eye placement. Getting a good repeatable cheek weld everytime you shoulder the rifle is what it all about.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by muchow0123
    Thanks for the info guys, I guss the standard will work fine. I do however have a set of Rifleman Weaver bases, would it be better to go with the Burris Sig. rings in Weaver style instead of the standard rings?

If you just have the bases and have to buy rings I would go with the Burris Signature myself, but it's a personal taste. They give you some options for future alingment if needed, and at the least they won't put ring marks on your scope tube with the inserts -- A plus if you ever change the scope to another rifle where the rings line up different or you sell the scope.
    There is however not a thing wrong with the other style rings. I've used the plain Leupold, Burris, Redfield and Weavers for years -- Just depends on what you want on your gun and what you want to spend.
    Good Luck.......[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This set up is going on a Rem. 700 LV SF bolt. using a Monarch 6.5-24-44. I think that the medium rings will accomidate the 44mm obj. I just want a ring/base combo that will withstand every day use and not become loose. You guys are very helpful.