In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New sights for Glock

John CoffeyJohn Coffey Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Good morning sll, I am looking for a new set of sights for my Glock 23. The Heinie's straight eight sights have caught my attention. Also there are sights out there that have the post rear and dot front sight (I cannot remember the manufacturer). Can you get these sights in night sights or am I better off just getting the factory night sights? All help on this issue is greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend.

Comments

• Options
    Sigdriver1Sigdriver1 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all boils down to your personal preference & I don't think there's good or bad choices here.

Heine Straight 8 is a very good choice! Heine Slant Pro is better suited for carrying because it's slanted edges are lesser likely to snag on clothing.

Ghosting ring N.S. are great for fast target acquisition if you can stand the looks. The only thing I wish Heine could do to improve their sights is to make the Tritium dots bigger like Tru Dot. I don't remember the manufacture for the ghost ring N.S. but I believe CDNN currently carries them & last I checked I saw a N.S. with tritium post in the rear as well.

Heine utilizes a 2 dot system which I think is more comat effective than the popular 3 dot design. Similar to the concept behind Sig Sauer's "dot&post" contrast design where eyes focus on 2 point of reference instead of 3 dots.

Once the dot & post lines up you're good for center mass hits. Nothing fancy & it doesn't even look that great, but it's designed to get the job done efficiently without bells & whistles.

As far as the popular 3 dots design goes, you can also consider one with different color dots, say green in front & red in back for better contrast.

I personally favor the minimalist approach because an average shooter(myself included)looses 50% of his/her efficiency under combat stress, consequently the lesser your body & mind need to fumble with, the faster you'll be.

Bare in mind though, All N.S. are only effective for as long as you can see what you're aiming at in the dark.

quote:Originally posted by John Coffey
    Good morning sll, I am looking for a new set of sights for my Glock 23. The Heinie's straight eight sights have caught my attention. Also there are sights out there that have the post rear and dot front sight (I cannot remember the manufacturer). Can you get these sights in night sights or am I better off just getting the factory night sights? All help on this issue is greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend.
  • Options
    ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know someone who had Truglo's "TFO" sights installed on his Glock... He seems very satisfied, and alot of people claim they like it. They will supposedly glow regardless of lighting conditions (whether the sun is beaming down in the middle of the desert, or you are in a pitched black cave a mile under the earth)

Truglo says they combined both Tritium and fiber optic. This gives the sights a Hiviz type look all of the time.

If you're in the dark, the sights illuminate because of the very low level of radiation contained in the plastic insert. If its bright out, the light penetrates the plastic causing it floures, much like a neon light.

I think with most factory sights, they simply use glow in the dark paint...